Russian cosmonauts go on spacewalkAugust 21st, 2012 - 2:29 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, Aug 21 (IANS/RIA Novosti)Russian cosmonauts Gennady Padalka and Yury Malenchenko started Monday a six-hour spacewalk to carry out a number of maintenance tasks on the International Space Station (ISS), the Mission Control said.
The spacewalk was delayed for about 40 minutes due to some minor problems.
The cosmonauts will perform several maintenance tasks, launch a microsatellite and collect a number of bio specimens from the surface of a docking module to later send them to earth for study.
It is the second spacewalk performed by Russian members of the ISS crew this year. Anton Shkaplerov and Oleg Kononenko carried out a spacewalk in February to move a 14-metre crane from a docking module to a small scientific module (MIM-2) and to install additional shields to protect the ISS from space debris.
Both — Padalka and Malenchenko — are veteran cosmonauts having a lot of experience venturing outside the orbital station. It is the ninth spacewalk for Padalka and the fifth for Malenchenko in their space careers.
- Russia's ISS crew members complete spacewalk (Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- Russian cosmonauts take a six-hour spacewalk - Feb 17, 2012
- Russian cosmonauts conduct space walk - Feb 17, 2012
- Space station crew lands in Kazakhstan - Apr 27, 2012
- New space station crew in orbit - May 15, 2012
- Sunita Williams completes spacewalk outside ISS - Aug 31, 2012
- Three ISS crew to return to earth - Mar 29, 2012
- Orbiting cosmonauts vote in Russian polls - Mar 05, 2012
- Russia's manned spacecraft docks with ISS - Dec 24, 2011
- Russia confirms new crew members for ISS - Apr 26, 2012
- Russian space agency names next crew to ISS - Oct 25, 2011
- Russia launches manned spacecraft to ISS - Nov 14, 2011
- Russia's Soyuz spacecraft docks with ISS - Oct 10, 2010
- Russia launches manned mission to ISS (Lead) - Dec 21, 2011
- Sunita Williams arrives at her new home in space - Jul 17, 2012
Tags: crane, earth, gennady padalka, international space station, iss crew, maintenance tasks, malenchenko, microsatellite, moscow, oleg, orbital station, ria novosti, russian cosmonauts, shields, space careers, space debris, space station iss, specimens, yury