Russia warns against unilateral sanctions on IranJune 14th, 2012 - 12:04 pm ICT by IANS
Tehran, June 14 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russia is opposed to unilateral sanctions against Iran, and wants action based on UN resolutions, Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said.
“We are against any forcible action bypassing the UN Security Council — be it Iran, Cuba or any other sovereign UN member nation,” he said.
Failure to observe UN Security Council resolutions is unacceptable, he warned.
Secretary of Iran’s Supreme National Security Council Saeed Jalili said Tehran was hoping that the international community will finally recognise its right for nuclear technologies and uranium enrichment for peaceful purposes.
“The Islamic Republic of Iran has a good potential for cooperation in the area of disarmament and nuclear non-proliferation and this potential should be realized,” Jalili told Russia Today television.
“We expect that Iran’s right for nuclear technologies, including uranium enrichment, will be officially recognized and respected,” he said.
Russian President Vladimir Putin has said Moscow supports Iran’s right to peaceful uses of nuclear energy and is in constant contact with Tehran on nuclear issues.
Western nations and Israel are seeking to persuade Iran to give up its uranium enrichment programme, which they suspect is aimed at producing nuclear weapons. Iran says its nuclear programme is merely designed to generate energy.
Russia is hosting the third round of talks on Iran’s nuclear programme June 18-19.
The US has warned it will tighten sanctions against Iran if the Moscow negotiations fail to make progress on the nuclear programme.
- Iran questions upcoming n-talks 'with no agenda' - Jun 07, 2012
- Istanbul to host next Iran n-talks - Jun 20, 2012
- Moscow urges Iran to respond to IAEA concerns - Feb 27, 2012
- European parliament urges Russia, China to back Iran sanctions - Feb 03, 2012
- US hegemony should end: Iran official - Sep 20, 2011
- Russia opposes new sanctions against North Korea - Apr 13, 2012
- 'Sanction talks shouldn't hamper Iran-Turkey swap deal' - May 20, 2010
- Iranian leader threatens to increase uranium enrichment - Jul 23, 2012
- Russia supports Iran's peaceful n-programme: Putin - Jun 07, 2012
- Iran's n-plant to reach full capacity in February - Jan 08, 2012
- EU accepts Iran talks offer - Mar 06, 2012
- Iran enriches 100 kg of Uranium to 20 percent (Lead) - Feb 20, 2012
- Russia seeks compromise on Iran sanctions - Mar 06, 2012
- US condemns Iran's decision to start uranium enrichment - Jan 11, 2012
- Russia to push Syria peace plan at UNSC - Sep 09, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,