Russia warns against training Syrian rebels in KosovoMay 15th, 2012 - 6:31 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, May 15 (IANS) Russia has urged international bodies operating in Kosovo to prevent the region from turning into a training ground for Syrian rebels, RIA Novosti reported.
A delegation from the Syrian opposition visited Kosovo in April to allegedly make a deal on exchanging experience in guerilla warfare against ruling authorities.
So far, the opposition has been unable to form a steady front against the forces of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.
The Russian foreign ministry said in a statement that the talks in Kosovo by the Syrian opposition covered not only the ways of organising armed resistance against authorities but also the training of Syrian militants in Kosovo.
“There are plans to use the areas (in Kosovo) that resemble the terrain in Syria. The possibility of setting up training camps at the former bases of the Kosovo Liberation Army is also being discussed,” the ministry statement said.
“Transforming Kosovo into an international training ground for armed militants may become a serious destabilizing factor that could extend beyond the Balkans. We urge international bodies operating in Kosovo to take all necessary steps to prevent these plans,” it said.
The Kosovo Liberation Army (KLA) fought a separatist war against the regime of Serbian President Slobodan Milosevic in 1998-99. About 10,000 people died in the Kosovo conflict. Kosovo declared its independence from Serbia in February 2008.
However, both Serbia and Russia have refused to recognize Kosovo’s independence.
- Russia, Iran oppose foreign interference in Syria - Feb 23, 2012
- France ready to recognise Syrian opposition as government - Aug 28, 2012
- Russia calls on EU, NATO over military actions in Kosovo north - Aug 10, 2011
- Russia to keep supporting Syria peace plan - May 06, 2012
- Lebanon halts ship carrying arms for Syria rebels - Apr 29, 2012
- Clinton warns Russia over Syria policy - Jun 14, 2012
- Serbia finds 250 Albanians in mass grave - May 10, 2010
- Syrian president ready for honest effort to solve crisis - Mar 11, 2012
- Russia supports Syrians' decision on leadership - Mar 18, 2012
- UN concerned over Syria violence escalation - Jun 13, 2012
- US blames Russia, China for Annan mission failure - Aug 03, 2012
- Syrian army fighting 'militants, 'provocateurs': Russia - Jun 16, 2011
- EU to introduce new sanctions on Syria - Feb 06, 2012
- Syrian minister joins opposition - Mar 09, 2012
- Russia urges Syria to call off troops - Apr 03, 2012
Tags: balkans, bashar al assad, guerilla warfare, international bodies, kla, kosovo, kosovo conflict, kosovo liberation army, militants, ministry statement, necessary steps, novosti, president bashar, president slobodan milosevic, russian foreign ministry, separatist war, slobodan milosevic, syrian opposition, syrian president bashar al, training camps