Russia wants strike droneApril 2nd, 2012 - 5:31 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, April 2 (IANS) Russia has issued a technical specification for development of a strike unmanned air vehicle (UAV), Izvestia daily said Monday quoting a source.
Tranzas company will build the UAV’s on-board electronics as well as its navigation and control systems. The airframe, which will weigh about five tonnes, will be produced by the Kazan-based Sokol design bureau, reported RIA Novosti.
The new aircraft will have a modular structure, the source said, and will be able to carry various types of equipment and armament.
Russia’s defense ministry sealed contracts worth an estimated 3 billion rubles ($101.9 million) with Tranzas and Sokol in October 2011 for research work into creation of strike and reconnaissance UAVs.
In late March, Russian Air Force commander-in-chief Col. Gen. Alexander Zelin, told Moscovsky Komsomolets tabloid that strike drones will enter service before 2020. He did not specify how many drones will be acquired.
The US has relied heavily on UAVs, including the Predator system, to carry out missile attacks on insurgents in the Afghanistan-Pakistan border area.
- Russia to test first combat drone in 2014 - Apr 20, 2012
- Russian army to get first indigenous UAV in 2014 - Jun 29, 2012
- Putin calls for new long-range bomber and UAVs - Jun 15, 2012
- Russia, Israel plan joint venture to produce drones - Apr 21, 2010
- Russia to build mini drone - Mar 15, 2012
- Russian Air Force rejects home-made UAVs as inferior - Nov 27, 2009
- Russia to deploy S-400 air defence systems near borders - Feb 14, 2012
- Russia's new generation missile system to enter service - Jul 13, 2010
- Moscow to spend about $892 mn on hospitals' renovation - Apr 25, 2011
- Russia deploys air defence system in Abkhazia - Aug 11, 2010
- Russia needs defence research body: NATO envoy - Nov 17, 2011
- Putin backs importing foreign military technology - Jul 03, 2012
- Russia to develop new AWACS plane - Aug 09, 2011
- Medvedev sacks Russian Air Force commander - Apr 27, 2012
- Medvedev replaces Russian Navy commander - May 07, 2012
Tags: afghanistan pakistan, air force commander, airframe, armament, board electronics, border area, defense ministry, drones, izvestia daily, missile attacks, new aircraft, pakistan border, predator system, ria novosti, rubles, russian air force, sokol, uavs, unmanned air vehicle, zelin