Russia wants missile defence guaranteesJune 2nd, 2012 - 5:25 pm ICT by IANS
Paris, June 2 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russia will hold partner-like dialogue on missile defence with Western countries if it has guarantees that the missile shield is not directed against it, President Vladimir Putin has said.
Talking to journalists Friday after talks with his French counterpart Francois Hollande in Paris, Putin said: “We are constantly being told that the missile defence system is not directed against Russia.
“We would like to receive military and technological guarantees fixed in legally binding documents. Only then will we be able to feel safe and hold normal partner-like dialogue.”
Putin said statements like “‘don’t be afraid, we promise that nothing will happen’ are clearly insufficient in the modern world. This is childish.”
“We need guarantees and serious agreements in the security sphere,” the Russian president said, adding that he hopes constructive dialogue with France and other NATO members is possible.
Russia and NATO agreed to cooperate on the so-called European missile defence system at the Lisbon summit in November 2010.
NATO insists there should be two independent systems that exchange information, while Russia favours a joint system with full-scale interoperability.
Russia’s military and political leaders have repeatedly warned their western partners that if talks fail, Moscow may take a series of measures including deployment of Iskander short-range nuclear-capable ballistic missiles in the Kaliningrad exclave.
- US vows to go ahead with missile shield - May 11, 2012
- Russia will counter US missile defence: Medvedev - Feb 22, 2012
- Russia tests interceptor missile - Dec 21, 2011
- Russia unveils anti-missile radar in Kaliningrad - Nov 29, 2011
- Moscow reiterates its missile defence posture - Aug 21, 2012
- Euro-missile defense could intercept Russian ICBMs - May 03, 2012
- Putin, Obama agree to continue missile talks - Jun 19, 2012
- Poland wants to build own missile defence - Aug 12, 2012
- Moscow wants missile defence talks at NATO summit - Mar 06, 2012
- Russia to deploy S-400 air defence systems near borders - Feb 14, 2012
- 'Russia has no business in NATO missile defence' - May 23, 2012
- Russia, NATO to hold missile defence drills - Feb 02, 2012
- Indian frigate sails for sea trials in Russia - May 24, 2012
- Russian military chief visits US - Jul 10, 2012
- US, Russia to continue missile defence talks - Aug 09, 2011
Tags: ballistic missiles, binding documents, constructive dialogue, favours, francois hollande, french counterpart, independent systems, kaliningrad, lisbon summit, missile defence system, missile shield, nato members, political leaders, president vladimir putin, ria novosti russia, russian president, security sphere, vladimir putin, western countries, western partners