Russia, Venezuela start visa-free travel regimeMarch 6th, 2009 - 8:01 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, March 6 (RIA Novosti) A Russian-Venezuelan agreement scrapping visa requirements entered into force Friday.
The agreement will allow Russians and Venezuelans to visit each others’ countries for up to 90 days without having to apply for visas.
“This greatly eases interaction between the countries and mutual travel of citizens, including businessmen… It simplifies the establishment of contacts as well as humanitarian, student and tourist exchanges,” said Sergei Akopov, a deputy director of Russian foreign ministry’s Latin American department.
The deal was signed Nov 26, 2008 in Caracas during Russian President Dmitry Medvedev’s official visit to the South American country.
The official said tourist turnover between the two countries was “not strong”, but that the agreement could significantly increase the number of Russians visiting Venezuela.
Venezuela has become the fifth state in Latin America to scrap visa requirements for Russian citizens, following Cuba, Peru, Ecuador and the Dominican Republic.
Similar agreements are also expected to be signed with Brazil and Argentina.
The Colombian foreign ministry announced Wednesday it was planning to unilaterally introduce a visa-free agreement for Russia, which would enter into force within 30 days.
- Georgia reluctant to restore relations with Russia (Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- Russia ready to restore diplomatic ties with Georgia - Mar 03, 2012
- Russia-US simplified visa agreement comes into force - Sep 10, 2012
- India, Pakistan ink visa pact (Lead) - Sep 08, 2012
- Russia to help Venezuela develop nuclear project - Apr 03, 2010
- Indian, Pakistani elders to get visas on arrival (Lead) - Sep 08, 2012
- Russia, US may ease visa regime 'in foreseeable future' - Mar 30, 2011
- Costa Rican diplomat kidnapped in Venezuela - Apr 10, 2012
- Venezuela boosts oil sales to China - Aug 14, 2012
- India, Pakistan ink visa pact to ease travel, trade (Second Lead) - Sep 08, 2012
- Russia, US to sign visa simplification agreement soon - Jun 17, 2011
- Russia, Venezuela sign energy, defence deals - Apr 04, 2010
- 'Latin America, Caribbean and India should build closer ties' - Jul 18, 2012
- Venezuela, Colombia liberalise bilateral trade - Nov 29, 2011
- Jennifer Lopez to host Latin American talent search - Jun 02, 2011
Tags: businessmen, caracas, deputy director, dmitry medvedev, dominican republic, latin america, latin american, moscow, mutual travel, peru ecuador, regime, ria novosti, russian citizens, russian foreign ministry, russian president, russians, turnover, venezuelans, visa free travel, visa requirements