Russia, Venezuela sign deals on joint bank, aluminum plantNovember 9th, 2008 - 1:23 pm ICT by IANS
Caracas, Nov 9 (RIA Novosti) Russia and Venezuela have signed a memorandum on setting up a joint development bank with a starting capital of $4 million as part of an expanding economic and trade ties between the two countries. Agreements were also signed on the mutual promotion and protection of investments, a joint venture involving Russian aluminum giant RusAl to build a production facility in Venezuela, and cooperation in automobile industry.
Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez and Russian Deputy Prime Minister Igor Sechin were present during the signing of the agreements.
Gazprombank, the banking arm of energy giant Gazprom, will be the Russian participant in the development bank venture. Gazprom started exploratory drilling for gas in Venezuelan waters Friday.
The head of international relations at Russia’s finance ministry, Konstantin Vyshkovsky, said the bank would finance projects in Russia and Venezuela, and could be involved in payments for oil deliveries.
He added that the global financial turmoil meant it was a good time to create such a bank, which could even begin work sooner due to the crisis.
The two partners will each own 50 percent stake in the joint venture.
RusA1′S director of international development, Alexander Livshits, brushed off concerns over financing due to the ongoing market crisis.
The biggest problem, he said, would be electricity supplies, but that would be solved by building a new power plant.
Relations between the two countries have become increasingly close over recent years, with billions of dollars of Russian arms sales leading to military cooperation and broader economic ties with the Latin American country.
- Russian firm to operate two oil fields in Venezuela - Apr 13, 2012
- Russia to help Venezuela develop nuclear project - Apr 03, 2010
- Russia-China trade turnover doubles to $60 bn in 2010 - Jun 04, 2011
- Russia, Venezuela sign package of oil deals - Sep 10, 2009
- Japan, South Korea plan big oil investments in Venezuela - Apr 30, 2012
- Sistema Shyam to secure $200m Gazprombank loan - Dec 20, 2010
- India, Russia ink 19 business deals, explore trade pact - Dec 21, 2010
- ExxonMobil and Rosneft sign deal for joint development of Arctic and Black Sea resources - Aug 31, 2011
- India, Russia sign 29 agreements from defence to trade - Dec 22, 2010
- Russia, Venezuela sign energy, defence deals - Apr 04, 2010
- Dhaka looks to Moscow for oil, gas exploration - Dec 28, 2010
- Russian oil companies want consortium in Latin America - Sep 18, 2008
- China, Russia sign gas, banking deals as Putin visits (Lead) - Oct 13, 2009
- Russia to explore Cuban oil, lends $150 million - Jul 30, 2009
- No gas deal during Putin's China visit: Moscow - Oct 11, 2011
Tags: global financial turmoil, hugo chavez, latin american country, oil deliveries, president hugo chavez, ria novosti russia, russian aluminum, russian participant, venezuelan president hugo, venezuelan president hugo chavez