Russia, US to set up Mi-17 repairs centre in AfghanistanJune 2nd, 2011 - 6:09 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, June 2 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russia and the US will set up a maintenance centre for Mil Mi-17 helicopters bought by Washington for the Afghan armed forces.
“We have agreed that this [Mi-17] joint project with the US will encompass this kind of facility on the territory of Afghanistan because the transportation of helicopters to Europe for repairs would be too expensive,” Deputy Director of the Russian Federal Service for Military-Technical Cooperation Vyacheslav Dzirkaln said Thursday.
The US signed a contract on the purchase of 21 Mi-17V5 military transport helicopters from Russia for $367.5 million May 26.
The Mi-17 is an export version of the Mi-8 Hip helicopter. Currently in production at two factories in the Russian Volga area city of Kazan and the East Siberian city of Ulan-Ude, it features powerful turboshaft engines and can transport up to 35 troops.
The Mi-17V5 version is equipped with a loading ramp instead of the clam-shell doors, an additional door and a new “dolphin nose”.
The first helicopters will be sent to Afghanistan in October 2011.
- Russia, US plan new military cooperation deals - Aug 04, 2011
- Russia, US sign deal to send choppers to Afghanistan - May 28, 2011
- Russia to make Mi-171 helicopters for China - Aug 21, 2012
- US hails Russia's contribution to Afghan mission - Jun 19, 2012
- Russia to sell 52 choppers to China - Sep 06, 2012
- Russia ready to help NATO in Afghanistan - Jul 01, 2010
- Afghan engineers training in Russia: NATO - Apr 20, 2012
- Russian navy ready to break Syria blockade - Jul 12, 2012
- Japanese scribes 'offered $10,000' for video of Kim Jong-Il - Aug 31, 2011
- Russian court fines man $20 mn for wildfire - Apr 10, 2012
- No choppers on board ships to Syria: Russia - Jul 14, 2012
- Russia will continue to back NATO mission: Putin - Aug 02, 2012
- Kim Jong-il begins Russia visit - Aug 21, 2011
- US buys 10 Russian choppers for Afghanistan - Jun 14, 2012
- Russia to showcase helicopter at Berlin air show - Sep 11, 2012
Tags: 5 million, clam shell, deputy director, dg, dolphin, dolphin nose, export version, factories, helicopter, kazan, loading ramp, maintenance centre, military transport helicopters, ria novosti russia, russian federal service, russian volga, siberian city, technical cooperation, turboshaft engines, vyacheslav