Russia urges Syria, Turkey against clashJune 27th, 2012 - 7:56 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, June 27 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The downing of a Turkish jet by Syrian forces should not be considered a provocation or allowed to further destabilise the situation in the region, the Russian foreign ministry has said.
“The escalation of politics and propaganda, including on the international level, is especially dangerous when efforts are being undertaken to mobilize all major outside players to channel the situation in Syria in a political direction,” ministry spokesman Alexander Lukashevich said.
Russia is concerned with the situation, and urges both Ankara and Damascus to cooperate in the investigation of the incident, Lukashevich said in a statement.
Syria shot down a Turkish F-4 fighter jet over the Mediterranean Sea last Friday.
Syrian officials said the jet invaded the country’s air space, while Turkey insisted it was attacked over international waters.
The attack prompted fears that Turkey may use the incident as a pretext to launch a military operation in Syria, torn by a civil war that has killed at least 12,000 people since March 2011, according to the UN.
A NATO meeting called Tuesday at Turkey’s request denounced the attack on the jet, but said the incident would not be viewed as aggression against the alliance, which could have given NATO a valid pretext to attack Syria.
Turkish President Abdullah Gul said Tuesday the incident has exposed “the paranoia that has gripped the Syrian Army”.
- Wreckage of downed Turkish plane located - Jun 25, 2012
- Syria fires at another Turkish jet - Jun 26, 2012
- Turkey denies fighter jet shot down by Syria - Jul 14, 2012
- Turkey closes borders with Syria - Jul 25, 2012
- No hostility for Turkey: Syria (Lead) - Jun 24, 2012
- Turkish army holds drills on Syria border - Aug 02, 2012
- Russia slams West over Syria allegations - Jul 20, 2012
- 30 Syrian army men defect to Turkey - Jun 25, 2012
- 85 Syrian army men defect to Turkey - Jul 03, 2012
- Russia dismisses EU sanctions on Syria - Jul 29, 2012
- Turkey to do whatever needed over jet incident - Jun 24, 2012
- Turkey mulls buffer zone on Syrian border - Jun 11, 2011
- Annan admits failure of Syrian peace mission - Jul 08, 2012
- Russia opposes UN resolution on Syria - Jun 09, 2011
- Putin, Obama did not discuss refuge for Assad: Official - Jul 19, 2012
Tags: abdullah gul, air space, damascus, escalation, fighter jet, international waters, last friday, mediterranean sea, military operation, ministry spokesman, paranoia, political direction, pretext, provocation, ria novosti, russian foreign ministry, syrian army, syrian forces, syrian officials, turkish president