Russia urges Syria to call off troopsApril 3rd, 2012 - 3:06 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, April 3 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Syrian authorities should “make the first step” towards restoring peace in the country by pulling troops and tanks out of rebellious cities and towns, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said.
“We agree that the Syrian government should make the first step and order the beginning of security forces and army units’ pullout from residential areas,” he said.
He, however, added that “ending this process will be impossible without reciprocal steps from those fighting the government”.
The Syrian government, he said, “has made a lot of mistakes over the past year, first of all, in terms of its inadequate reaction to the protest movement”, which he said involved “armed provocateurs” along with “peaceful demonstrators”.
“The Syrian authorities have been clearly slow to implement reforms - although it would also be wrong to screw up eyes to the fact that reforms do take place,” he said.
Lavrov described calls by Syrian opposition groups for President Bashar al-Assad to step down as an “invitation for bloodshed”.
Russia was not considering Assad’s removal from power as an option to end the violence in Syria, he said.
More than 9,000 people have been killed in Syria since the breakout of a popular uprising against Assad in March 2011, the UN has estimated. The authorities blame the unrest on “armed terrorist gangs” affiliated with Al Qaeda.
On April 1, at a “Friends of the Syrian People” meeting in Istanbul, 70 countries, including the US, pledged to send several million dollars and communications equipment to Syrian rebels fighting Assad.
Russia, which along with China and Iran, was absent from the meeting, criticised the initiative.
- US 'disgusted' by Russia, China veto on Syria resolution - Feb 05, 2012
- Syrian army fighting 'militants, 'provocateurs': Russia - Jun 16, 2011
- No Russian asylum for Syrian president: Minister - Mar 21, 2012
- Russia to keep supporting Syria peace plan - May 06, 2012
- Russia warns West of 'big war' in Syria - Jul 06, 2012
- Russia defends decision on Syria resolution - Feb 07, 2012
- Moscow calls for political pressure on Syria to end violence - Jun 22, 2011
- Russia denies holding talks over Assad exit - Jun 16, 2012
- UNSC 'tired, unfit for purpose': Amnesty - May 24, 2012
- Russia accuses Libya of training Syrian rebels - Mar 09, 2012
- Syrian opposition hopes Russia helps end conflict - Sep 06, 2012
- No arms to Syria opposition: France - Apr 20, 2012
- UN Syria envoy Kofi Annan to visit Russia - Mar 22, 2012
- Russia to oppose UNGA's Syria resolution - Aug 02, 2012
- Clinton warns Russia over Syria policy - Jun 14, 2012
Tags: army units, bashar al assad, bloodshed, breakout, cities and towns, communications equipment, foreign minister, opposition groups, peace in the country, peaceful demonstrators, president bashar, protest movement, pullout, residential areas, ria novosti, security forces, sergei lavrov, syrian authorities, syrian government, syrian opposition