Russia urges Israel to stop settlement expansionJune 9th, 2012 - 10:17 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, June 9 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The Russia has called on Israel to abandon plans to build new apartments in the West Bank, warning that it could hurt the peace process in the Middle East.
Israel said Wednesday it would build over 800 additional housing units in West Bank settlements and relocate some of the settlers from Ulpana within the occupied Palestinian territory.
“All Israeli settlements in the West Bank and in east Jerusalem are illegal and any settlement activity including in the existing settlements must be stopped,” Russian foreign ministry said in a statement Friday.
“These steps pose a threat to the establishment of a viable Palestinian state and undermine the prospects of a peaceful settlement of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict,” the statement said.
EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton earlier Friday blasted the Israeli decision to expand settlement construction in the West Bank.
Ashton said settlement activity puts international peace efforts in the Middle East at risk.
The Palestinians are seeking to create an independent state on the territories of West Bank, east Jerusalem, partially occupied by Israel, and the Hamas-controlled Gaza Strip and want Israel to pull from the Palestinian territories occupied after the 1967 war.
Israel, however, has refused to return to the 1967 borders and is unwilling to raise the issue of Jerusalem, which it says is the indivisible capital of the Jewish state.
The Israeli settlement construction in the occupied Palestinian territories is the main obstacle for the resumption of the Israeli-Palestinian peace process, which has been stalled for over a year.
- Israel may resolve Middle East crisis unilaterally: Minister - May 31, 2012
- Abbas pledges to continue peace talks with Israel - Jan 23, 2012
- Russia urges Israel to halt settlement construction - Nov 03, 2011
- US concerned over Israeli housing construction in West Bank - Aug 10, 2011
- UN envoy slams Israel's plan for new housing in East Jerusalem - Aug 12, 2011
- Russia to give $2 mn for Palestinian refugees - Aug 03, 2012
- Netanyahu calls for stepped up settlement construction - Nov 02, 2011
- Abandon new settlement plans, Russia urges Israel - Oct 17, 2011
- Israel calls for elections to replace Palestinian leader - Aug 23, 2012
- UN chief visits Gaza to revive Middle East talks - Mar 21, 2010
- Gaza stops Palestinians from approaching Israel border - Jun 05, 2011
- Israel slams South Africa over Palestinian territory label - Aug 24, 2012
- Palestine leader heads to India next week (Lead) - Sep 07, 2012
- India to host Palestinian leader next week - Sep 07, 2012
- UN chief in West Bank to push for peace talks - Mar 20, 2010
Tags: 1967 war israel, east jerusalem, gaza strip, international peace efforts, israeli decision, israeli palestinian conflict, israeli settlement, new apartments, occupied palestinian territories, occupied palestinian territory, palestinian peace, peace process, policy chief, ria novosti, russian foreign ministry, settlement activity, settlement construction, settlement expansion, viable palestinian state, west bank settlements