Russia upbeat on Syria conferenceJune 30th, 2012 - 7:01 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, June 30 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russia is hoping an international conference on Syria — to be held in Geneva Saturday — will facilitate the country’s progress to peace, the foreign ministry said.
There is no alternative to a “peaceful political settlement in Syria”, the ministry said.
The conference should consider all the viable mechanisms of ensuring a ceasefire in the Middle Eastern country, the ministry said.
It said they should facilitate the start of a “nationwide political dialogue in Syria between the government and all opposition groups”.
Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said the Syrian government is ready to withdraw its armed forces from the country’s cities in parallel with the forces of the Syrian opposition.
According to UN estimates, around 10,000 people have been killed in Syria since the beginning of a popular uprising against President Bashar al-Assad in March 2011.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a Lodon-based organization with a network of activists in Syria, has put the death toll at 12,000.
- Russia denies holding talks over Assad exit - Jun 16, 2012
- Britain backs Syria conference plan 'in principle' - Jun 15, 2012
- Moscow ready to host conference on Syria - Jun 13, 2012
- Russia to keep supporting Syria peace plan - May 06, 2012
- Russia to discuss Syria with Iran - Jun 12, 2012
- Assad departure no solution to Syrian problems: Russia - Mar 28, 2012
- Russia warns West of 'big war' in Syria - Jul 06, 2012
- Clinton warns Russia over Syria policy - Jun 14, 2012
- UN Syria envoy Kofi Annan to visit Russia - Mar 22, 2012
- No Russian asylum for Syrian president: Minister - Mar 21, 2012
- Russia urges Syria to call off troops - Apr 03, 2012
- No arms to Syria opposition: France - Apr 20, 2012
- Russia denies changing its stance on Syria - Jun 22, 2012
- Russia ready to back Annan proposals on Syria in UNSC - Mar 21, 2012
- France offers communications gear to Syrian opposition - Jun 16, 2012
Tags: activists, based organization, bashar al assad, ceasefire, death toll, foreign minister, foreign ministry, geneva, mechanisms, observatory, opposition groups, political dialogue, political settlement, president bashar, ria novosti russia, sergei lavrov, syrian government, syrian opposition, upbeat, uprising