Russia turns on new missile warning radarMay 23rd, 2012 - 7:00 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, May 23 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russia placed its new Voronezh-M long-range missile warning radar on duty in the Irkutsk region of Siberia Wednesday.
“At 10:15 a.m. on May 23, it was put on duty,” said Lt. Gen. Oleg Ostapenko, the commander of Russia’s Aerospace Defence Forces.
“This unique station has massive capabilities and is a key link in carrying out our strategic tasks given to us by the high command. It plays a key role in the missile early warning chain,” he said at the opening ceremony for the Voronezh-M radar station.
“Once a second Voronezh-M is built, we will no longer have to rely on the Dnepr missile early warning system radar,” he added.
With the introduction of the second station, the system will have its coverage doubled, covering an arc from India to the US.
The new station can also be more quickly deployed to a new site and requires a smaller crew to operate it compared to previous-generation stations. The Voronezh-M radar station also uses 40 percent less energy.
Former Strategic Missile Forces Chief of Staff Col. Gen. Viktor Yesin said the new Voronezh-M radar station covers the northeast of the US and China, and has not been discussed in missile defence talks between Russia and NATO.
The Voronezh-M can detect ballistic targets up to 6,000 km, while the older Dnepr radar can only detect them at up to 2,500 km, Yesin said.
- Russia delays 2012 military launches - Sep 04, 2012
- New Russian missile can carry bigger warhead: Expert - Sep 08, 2012
- Russia outlines its vision of European missile shield - Apr 29, 2011
- Russia to build new intercontinental missile by 2018 - Sep 04, 2012
- Russia sends new military satellite into space - Jan 29, 2010
- Russia may adopt new ICBM by 2022 - May 08, 2012
- Russia unveils anti-missile radar in Kaliningrad - Nov 29, 2011
- Russia test fires new ballistic missile - May 23, 2012
- Russian military chief visits US - Jul 10, 2012
- West to have 80,000 cruise missiles by 2020: Russia - May 29, 2011
- Russia may boost nuclear potential: Minister - Feb 06, 2012
- Iran radars can detect drones: Commander - Oct 09, 2011
- Russia could deploy unmanned bomber after 2040 - Aug 03, 2012
- Russia will counter US missile defence: Medvedev - Feb 22, 2012
- Moscow reiterates its missile defence posture - Aug 21, 2012
Tags: aerospace defence, arc, chief of staff, dg, early warning system, irkutsk region, key role, missile defence, missile early warning system, missile forces, moscow, nato, oleg, opening ceremony, radar station, range missile, ria novosti russia, siberia, strategic missile, voronezh