Russia to test launch ballistic missileApril 10th, 2009 - 2:42 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, April 10 (RIA Novosti) Russia will test launch later Friday a Topol intercontinental ballistic missile from the Plesetsk space centre in northern Russia, a spokesman for the Strategic Missile Forces (SMF) said.
The missile was in active service from 1987 until 2007, and deployed with the 54th Strategic Missile Division near the town of Teikovo, about 240 km northeast of Moscow.
“The goal of the upcoming launch is to confirm the reliability of the technical characteristics (of Topol missiles) during an extended service period,” Alexander Vovk said.
The RS-12M Topol, also referred to as SS-25, is a single-warhead intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) approximately the same size and shape as the US Minuteman ICBM. The first Topol missiles were put into service in 1985.
The missile has a maximum range of 10,000 km and can carry a 550-kiloton nuclear warhead.
Although the service life of the SS-25 was extended to 21 years after a series of successful test launches last year, the missile will be progressively retired over the next decade and be replaced by mobile Topol-M (SS-27 Stalin) missile systems.
Russia’s SMF has a total of 541 ICBMs, including 306 Topol missiles and 59 Topol-M missiles.
- Russia to train soldiers for missile systems - Jan 18, 2012
- Russia test launches ICBM - Nov 03, 2011
- New Russian missile can carry bigger warhead: Expert - Sep 08, 2012
- Russia to build new intercontinental missile by 2018 - Sep 04, 2012
- Missiles of the world - a look at countries' arsenals - Apr 19, 2012
- Russia may adopt new ICBM by 2022 - May 08, 2012
- Russia to keep Topol missiles until 2019 - Oct 29, 2011
- Russia test-fires new ICBM - Oct 12, 2008
- Russia successfully test fires troubled Bulava missile - Oct 07, 2010
- Russia test fires missile - Dec 24, 2009
- Russia test launches RS-18 ballistic missile (Lead) - Dec 28, 2011
- Russian missile fails test launch - Sep 28, 2011
- Russia test fires new ballistic missile - May 23, 2012
- US deploys more missiles than Russia - Oct 26, 2011
- Putin, Obama agree to continue missile talks - Jun 19, 2012
Tags: 12m, active service, intercontinental ballistic missile, intercontinental ballistic missile icbm, launch, maximum range, minuteman icbm, missile forces, missile systems, northern russia, nuclear warhead, ria novosti russia, service period, space centre, ss 25, strategic missile, technical characteristics, topol, topol m, vovk