Russia to test first combat drone in 2014April 20th, 2012 - 5:33 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, April 20 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russia will test its first domestically-produced strike unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) in 2014, First Deputy Defense Minister Alexander Sukhorukov said Friday.
In February, Army General Nikolay Makarov, the chief of the Russian General Staff, said the drone would be first test flown in late 2012, a revision of the initial 2015 timeframe.
In early April, Russia’s defense ministry issued a technical specification for the development of the drone. The new aircraft is expected to have a modular structure and be able to carry various types of equipment and armament.
The Tranzas company will build the UAV’s on-board electronics as well as its navigation and control systems, while the airframe, which will weigh about five tonnes, will be produced by the Kazan-based Sokol design bureau. Russia’s defense ministry sealed contracts with Tranzas and Sokol worth an estimated 3 billion rubles ($101.9 million) in October 2011.
In late March, Russian Air Force commander-in-chief Col. Gen. Alexander Zelin, told the Moskovsky Komsomolets tabloid that strike drones would enter service before 2020. He did not specify how many drones will be acquired.
The US has relied heavily on UAVs, including the Predator system, to carry out missile attacks on insurgents in the Afghanistan-Pakistan border area.
- Russia wants strike drone - Apr 02, 2012
- Russian army to get first indigenous UAV in 2014 - Jun 29, 2012
- Russia to increase number of fighters in test flights - Feb 13, 2012
- Gunshot kills Russian government official - Dec 29, 2011
- Russia, Israel plan joint venture to produce drones - Apr 21, 2010
- Russian military chief visits US - Jul 10, 2012
- Russia to deploy S-400 air defence systems near borders - Feb 14, 2012
- Medvedev replaces Russian Navy commander - May 07, 2012
- Russia needs fair elections: Gorbachev - Sep 22, 2011
- Medvedev sacks Russian Air Force commander - Apr 27, 2012
- Russian media tycoon sells radio stations - May 17, 2012
- Russia to build mini drone - Mar 15, 2012
- Russia deploys air defence system in Abkhazia - Aug 11, 2010
- Russia tests Italian tank - May 12, 2012
- Russian Air Force tests new missile - Jan 25, 2012
Tags: afghanistan pakistan, air force commander, army general, board electronics, border area, defense ministry, deputy defense, drone, drones, general staff, missile attacks, new aircraft, pakistan border, predator system, ria novosti russia, russian air force, sokol, uavs, unmanned aerial vehicle, zelin