Russia to start 5th generation fighter tests in 2010: Deputy PMDecember 8th, 2009 - 11:04 pm ICT by IANS
Nizhny Novgorod (Russia), Dec 8 (RIA Novosti) Russia will start testing its fifth-generation fighter jet in 2010, Deputy Prime Minister Sergei Ivanov said Tuesday.
“The trials will begin in 2010,” Ivanov said. Earlier reports said tests would start before the end of this year.
Deputy Defence Minister Vladimir Popovkin said the fighter, which has been under development since the 1990s, will enter the Air Force’s service in 2015.
One of Russia’s known fifth-generation projects is Sukhoi’s PAK FA and the current prototype is called T-50. It is designed to compete with the US’ F-22 Raptor (the world’s only fifth-generation fighter aircraft till now) and F-35 Lightening II, but is yet to take to the skies.
The T-50’s maiden flight has been repeatedly postponed since early 2007 for unspecified reasons.
However, in August 2009, Russian Air Force Chief Alexander Zelin said that there were problems with the engines and a research was underway.
The PAK FA is believed to possess advanced avionics, stealth capability, a ferry range of 4,000 to 5,500 km, and endurance of 3.3 hrs. It is armed with the next-generation air-to-air, air-to-surface and air-to-ship missiles, and has two 30-mm cannons.
- India, Russia firm up 5th generation stealth fighter project - Dec 21, 2010
- Russia to increase number of fighters in test flights - Feb 13, 2012
- Sukhoi T-50 stealth fighter undergoes trial - Aug 21, 2012
- India-Russia combat jet may compete in South Korean tender - Aug 18, 2011
- India to jointly develop 250 fifth generation fighters - Oct 04, 2010
- Russia's fifth-generation fighter jet makes maiden flight - Jan 29, 2010
- Japan picks F-35 as next-generation fighter jet - Dec 20, 2011
- Lockheed denies media reports, says F-22 not joining final day of Aero India 2011 - Feb 11, 2011
- Russian Air Force tests new missile - Jan 25, 2012
- Russia asks Pakistan to push 26/11 probe, backs India for UNSC, NSG (Second Lead) - Dec 21, 2010
- Pakistan displays fighter aircraft at Dubai air show - Nov 14, 2011
- Russia to modernise 60 MiG-31 interceptors by 2020 - Jan 02, 2012
- Russia to develop new AWACS plane - Aug 09, 2011
- New stealth fighter jet for Russia, India - Aug 16, 2011
- China develops next-generation air-to-air missile - May 20, 2011
Tags: air force chief, deputy defence minister, deputy prime minister, endurance, ferry range, fifth generation, fighter aircraft, fighter jet, generation fighter, generation projects, maiden flight, missiles, nizhny novgorod russia, ria novosti russia, russian air force, sergei ivanov, stealth capability, sukhoi, take to the skies, zelin