Russia to revamp air-space defences by 2020August 11th, 2009 - 9:07 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Aug 11 (RIA Novosti) Russia will create by 2020 a new generation of air and space defences to counter any strikes against its territory due to a potential foreign threat, the country’s air force commander said Tuesday.
“By 2030…foreign countries, particularly the US, will be able to deliver coordinated high-precision strikes from air and space against any target on the whole territory of Russia,” Col. Gen. Alexander Zelin said, referring to the potential for new hypersonic and space-based offensive weapons.
“That is why the main goal of the development of the Russian Air Force until 2020 is to create a new branch of the armed forces, which would form the core of the country’s air and space defences to provide a reliable deterrent during peacetime, and repel any military aggression with the use of conventional and nuclear arsenals in a time of war,” the general said.
According to Zelin, all Russian Air Force units will be constantly combat-ready by 2020. “We are planning to conduct a gradual transition of air force units to a constant combat-ready status…and accomplish this task by 2020,” the commander said.
During this period, the air force will bring combat units to full strength, equip them with modernised and new weaponry, and significantly improve combat training of military pilots.
Zelin said under the new concept, air-space defence brigades will be created within Russia’s Air Force, and they will be equipped with advanced S-400 and planned S-500 air defence systems.
“In line with the new air-space defence concept, we have already formed a number of brigades, which will be armed with S-400 and S-500 air defence systems,” Zelin said at a news conference in Moscow.
The S-400 Triumf (SA-21 Growler) is designed to intercept and destroy airborne targets at a distance of up to 400 km, twice the range of the US MIM-104 Patriot, and 2 1/2 times that of Russia’s S-300PMU-2.
The system is also believed to be able to destroy stealth aircraft, cruise missiles and ballistic missiles, and is effective at ranges up to 3,500 km and speeds up to 4.8 km per second.
Russia’s Defence Ministry considers the delivery of S-400 air defence missile systems to the Russian Armed Forces a priority, and wants the defence industry to increase the production of these systems despite the current economic crisis.
The fifth-generation S-500 air defence system, which is currently in the blueprint stage and is expected to be rolled out by 2012, would outperform the S-400 as well as the US Patriot Advanced Capability-3 system.
“The S-500 system is being developed under a unique design…and will be capable of destroying hypersonic and ballistic targets,” the general said.
Meanwhile, the Soviet-era MiG-31 Foxhound supersonic interceptor aircraft will most likely be used as part of the new air-space defence network, as was intended when it was designed.
“We are upgrading this system to be able to accomplish the same (air-space defence) tasks,” Zelin said.
According to some sources, Russia has over 280 MiG-31 aircraft in active service and about 100 aircraft in reserve.
- West to have 80,000 cruise missiles by 2020: Russia - May 29, 2011
- Russia to deploy S-400 air defence systems near borders - Feb 14, 2012
- Russia to modernise 60 MiG-31 interceptors by 2020 - Jan 02, 2012
- Russia's new generation missile system to enter service - Jul 13, 2010
- Russia to showcase its best combat aircraft in Dubai - Nov 12, 2011
- Russia to build hypersonic missile - Sep 20, 2012
- No S-400 missile exports before 2015: Russia - Feb 02, 2012
- Why Russia is losing out in the Indian defence market (Comment) - Jun 14, 2012
- Russian Air Force tests new missile - Jan 25, 2012
- Govt to phase-out MiG fighter aircraft by 2017: Antony - Feb 23, 2011
- Defence modernisation: Critical deals materialised, others faced time overruns (2011 in retrospect) - Dec 27, 2011
- Russia to produce new combat choppers, tests air defence missile - Dec 26, 2008
- IAF scouting for long-range missiles - Apr 25, 2011
- Russia deploys air defence system in Abkhazia - Aug 11, 2010
- Russia seals missile deal - Mar 20, 2012
Tags: air and space, air defence systems, air force commander, air space, airborne targets, combat training, combat units, defences, growler, hypersonic, military aggression, military pilots, nuclear arsenals, offensive weapons, precision strikes, ria novosti russia, russian air force, s 400, target, zelin