Russia to lease only one nuclear sub to India: officialJune 22nd, 2009 - 6:12 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, June 22 (RIA Novosti) A Russian official Monday dismissed media reports that Russia planned to lease several nuclear submarines to India, saying the contract envisioned only the transfer of Nerpa nuclear submarine.
“We will lease only one submarine. In my opinion, India needs the submarine more for enhancing its prestige rather than for accomplishing specific goals,” Vyacheslav Dzirkaln, deputy head of the Federal Service for Military-Technical Cooperation, said in an exclusive interview with RIA Novosti.
India reportedly paid $650 million for a 10-year lease of the 12,000-tonne K-152 Nerpa, an Akula II class nuclear-powered attack submarine.
Indian media have reported that the construction of the vessel was partially financed by the government.
On Nov 8, 2008, while the Nerpa was undergoing sea trials in the Sea of Japan, its on-board fire suppression system went off, releasing a deadly gas into the sleeping quarters. Three submariners and 17 shipyard workers were killed. There were 208 people, 81 of them submariners, on board the vessel at the time.
According to Russian navy officials, the trials will resume in early July and the submarine will be delivered to India by the end of 2009.
Akula II class vessels are considered the quietest and deadliest of all Russian nuclear-powered attack submarines.
- India to get Russian nuclear submarine in March - Oct 01, 2010
- Russia hands over Nerpa nuclear submarine to India - Jan 23, 2012
- Russian n-sub for Indian Navy coming soon: Envoy - Dec 07, 2011
- Indian Navy personnel to join Russian nuke sub trials - Sep 04, 2009
- Russian n-submarine meant for India passes final trials - Dec 28, 2009
- India-bound Russian nuke sub repaired, resumes sea trials - Jul 10, 2009
- Russian nuclear sub ready for India transfer - Dec 28, 2011
- Initial trials of Russian nuclear sub for India completed - Jul 27, 2009
- Sea trials of n-sub for India begin in Russia - Aug 20, 2010
- Leased Russian n-submarine to set sail for India this month end - Dec 15, 2011
- Russian submarine to reach Indian shores mid-March - Feb 28, 2012
- Russia to lease n-submarine to India by October - Mar 16, 2011
- Nuke-powered submarine to boost India's underwater warfare capability - Apr 03, 2012
- Indian Navy inducts n-powered attack submarine - Apr 04, 2012
- New Russian n-sub completes first sea trials - Oct 06, 2011
Tags: 208 people, akula, attack submarines, class vessels, deputy head, fire suppression system, nerpa, nuclear submarine, nuclear submarines, prestige, quarters, ria novosti, russian navy officials, russian official, sea of japan, sea trials, shipyard workers, submariners, technical cooperation, vyacheslav