Russia to lease n-submarine to India in NovemberOctober 4th, 2011 - 8:21 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Oct 4 (IANS/RIA Novosti) A Russian nuclear submarine, in which 20 people were accidentally killed during a sea trial in 2008, will be leased to India in November, a Russian defence industry source said Tuesday.
The delivery will make India only the sixth to operate nuclear-powered submarines after France, China, Russia, Britain and the US.
The Nerpa was to have been leased in 2008 but the transfer was put on hold after a fatal mishap three years ago, when a freon gas fire suppressant system was accidentally set off. The $650 million lease contract was signed in 2004.
The source said all the defects “will have been eliminated before November, after which the Nerpa will be transferred to Delhi”.
In late September, a jury dropped negligence charges against the Nerpa’s captain Dmitry Lavrentyev and engineer Dmitry Grobov. They were charged with professional negligence resulting in death or injury for allegedly setting off the sub’s fire safety system “without authorization and for no reason”. The Nerpa had 208 people aboard.
Seventeen of the dead were civilians, killed when fire-suppressant freon gas was released during sea trials in the Sea of Japan in November 2008.
Another 21 people were injured, in Russia’s worst naval accident since the sinking of the Kursk nuclear submarine in 2000.
- Russia hands over Nerpa nuclear submarine to India - Jan 23, 2012
- Russian nuclear sub ready for India transfer - Dec 28, 2011
- Russia to lease n-submarine to India by October - Mar 16, 2011
- India to get Russian nuclear submarine in March - Oct 01, 2010
- Nuke-powered submarine to boost India's underwater warfare capability - Apr 03, 2012
- India may get Russian nuke submarine on lease this fall - Aug 20, 2010
- Indian team inspects nuclear submarine in Russia - Feb 11, 2009
- Leased Russian n-submarine to set sail for India this month end - Dec 15, 2011
- Russian n-submarine meant for India passes final trials - Dec 28, 2009
- Indian Navy personnel to join Russian nuke sub trials - Sep 04, 2009
- Russian submarine to reach Indian shores mid-March - Feb 28, 2012
- Russia to lease only one nuclear sub to India: official - Jun 22, 2009
- Russian Navy working on 30-year development plan - Feb 06, 2012
- Initial trials of Russian nuclear sub for India completed - Jul 27, 2009
- Russia to launch new ballistic missile submarine - Aug 17, 2012
Tags: 208 people, china russia, fire safety system, fire suppressant, freon gas, gas fire, industry source, kursk nuclear submarine, lease contract, naval accident, nerpa, professional negligence, ria novosti, russian defence industry, russian nuclear submarine, sea of japan, sea trial, sea trials, sinking of the kursk, snb