Russia to launch latest ballistic missilesMay 5th, 2008 - 6:22 pm ICT by admin
Moscow, May 5 (RIA Novosti) Russia will conduct nine test launches of the latest version of its ballistic missile in the current year. “One of the main tasks for us in 2008 is to test new (ballistic) missile systems and to extend the service life of the existing arsenals,” Strategic Missile Forces (SMF) commander General Nikolai Solovtsov said Monday.
According to the SMF, Russia puts an average of three mobile and three or four fixed-site Topol-M ballistic missile systems into operation every year, and the SMF will double its test launches of Inter-Continental Ballistic Missiles (ICBM) after 2009.
At present, Russia operates 48 silo-based Topol-M systems (NATO reporting name SS-27) and will deploy another two with a missile regiment in the Saratov region in southern Russia this year, bringing the total number to 50.
The missile, with a range of about 11,000 km, is said to be immune to US anti-ballistic missile defence systems. Unlike the conventional ICBMs, it is capable of making evasive manoeuvres.
It can also provide shield against radiation, electromagnetic pulse, nuclear blasts, and is designed to survive a hit from any laser source.
The first Topol-M mobile missile battalion, equipped with three road-mobile systems, has been deployed with a missile unit stationed near the town of Teikovo, about 240 km northeast of Moscow, Dec 12, 2006.
Solovtsov said earlier, a second missile battalion, equipped with Topol-M mobile ICBMs, would be put on combat duty in the near future. Moreover, the deployment of silo-based Topol-M systems in the Saratov region and road-mobile systems in the Ivanovo region (central Russia) would be completed in 2010.
“Russia would equip the Topol-M missile systems with Multiple Independently Targetable Re-entry vehicles (MIRV) in the next two or three years,” he added.
- Russia to train soldiers for missile systems - Jan 18, 2012
- Russia may adopt new ICBM by 2022 - May 08, 2012
- New Russian missile can carry bigger warhead: Expert - Sep 08, 2012
- Russia to build new intercontinental missile by 2018 - Sep 04, 2012
- Russia to test launch ballistic missile - Apr 10, 2009
- Russia to keep Topol missiles until 2019 - Oct 29, 2011
- Russia test fires missile - Dec 24, 2009
- Russia test launches ICBM - Nov 03, 2011
- Russia successfully test fires troubled Bulava missile - Oct 07, 2010
- Russia to deploy more intercontinental ballistic missiles - Feb 28, 2008
- Missiles of the world - a look at countries' arsenals - Apr 19, 2012
- Russia test launches RS-18 ballistic missile (Lead) - Dec 28, 2011
- Putin pledges 400 ICBMs for Russia in 10 years - Feb 20, 2012
- Russia to deploy S-400 air defence systems near borders - Feb 14, 2012
- US deploys more missiles than Russia - Oct 26, 2011
Tags: anti ballistic missile, ballistic missile defence, ballistic missiles, central russia, combat duty, electromagnetic pulse, ivanovo region, laser source, m systems, missile forces, missile regiment, missile systems, mobile missile, nikolai solovtsov, nuclear blasts, ria novosti russia, saratov region, southern russia, topol m, year one