Russia to give $2 mn for Palestinian refugeesAugust 3rd, 2012 - 9:20 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Aug 3 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russia will allocate $2 million to the UN agency in charge of providing aid to the Palestinian refugees in 2013, the Russian Foreign Ministry said Friday.
Moscow has recognised an independent Palestinian state since 1988.
“This decision derives from Russia’s understanding of the importance of the activities of the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA) which are aimed at lightening the burden of Palestinian refugees,” the ministry said in a statement.
The problems of Palestinian refugees have been aggravated as a result of “complicated transformation processes in the Middle East,” it said.
“We continue strongly proceeding from the assumption that the problem of refugees, as well as other issues of Israeli-Palestinian settlement, should become a subject of direct talks between the sides,” the statement said.
Russia as a member of the Quartet of international mediators of the Israeli-Palestinian issue will continue seeking the early resumption of the negotiations, it added.
Talks between the Israelis and Palestinians have been stalled since September 2010, when Israel refused to extend its freeze on settlement construction in the occupied Palestinian territories.
- Russia urges Israel to stop settlement expansion - Jun 09, 2012
- Abbas pledges to continue peace talks with Israel - Jan 23, 2012
- Syria's neighbours should help end conflict: Putin - Jun 27, 2012
- Putin to undertake Middle East tour - Jun 25, 2012
- India urges Israel, Palestine to resume direct talks - Dec 15, 2011
- Abandon new settlement plans, Russia urges Israel - Oct 17, 2011
- Russia urges Israel to halt settlement construction - Nov 03, 2011
- Israel rebuffs Obama's 1967 borders call - May 20, 2011
- Israel declines to accept Palestine's Unesco membership - Nov 01, 2011
- Russia to back bid for Palestinian statehood - Sep 23, 2011
- US concerned over Israeli housing construction in West Bank - Aug 10, 2011
- Medvedev, Abbas to discuss Middle East peace process - Jan 26, 2010
- Israel calls for elections to replace Palestinian leader - Aug 23, 2012
- Netanyahu calls for stepped up settlement construction - Nov 02, 2011
- Syria denies facing 'Civil War' - Jun 14, 2012
Tags: assumption, dg, early resumption, independent palestinian state, international mediators, israelis and palestinians, middle east, moscow, negotiations, occupied palestinian territories, palestine refugees, palestinian issue, palestinian refugees, quartet, ria novosti russia, russian foreign ministry, settlement construction, transformation processes, un agency, unrwa