Russia to donate 10 MiG-29 fighter jets to LebanonDecember 18th, 2008 - 4:54 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, Dec 18 (RIA Novosti) Russia will supply 10 used MiG-29 Fulcrum fighter planes to Lebanon free of charge, the head of the federal military cooperation service has said. The export price for a new MiG-29 is around $30 million.
Mikhail Dmitriyev Wednesday said that all the aircraft would be repaired and modernised “to export standards” before delivery.
He said Russia and Lebanon were holding talks on a deal for the Arab country to buy Russian military hardware.
“Joint work with our Lebanese colleagues is underway now ….dealing with the purchase of Russian armored vehicles, artillery and other military hardware,” Dmitriyev said.
The MiG-29 deal was announced Tuesday by Lebanon’s Defence Minister Elias Murr after a meeting with his Russian counterpart Anatoly Serdyukov.
Serdyukov said Moscow had received a “shopping list” from the Lebanese armed forces. He said the fighter plane deal would provide a fresh impetus to military cooperation between the two countries.
Currently, the Lebanese Air Force has no airworthy planes. All its planes such as the Bell UH-1 Iroquois combat helicopters, developed in the 1950s, and Robinson R44 Raven II civilian helicopters, were supplied by the US.
In 2007, Beirut took delivery of nine SA342L Gazelle helicopters from the United Arab Emirates.
- Why Russia is losing out in the Indian defence market (Comment) - Jun 14, 2012
- Delays in Russian spares force India to go shopping worldwide - Apr 27, 2011
- Russia's MiG starts new batch of fighters for Indian Navy - Aug 04, 2011
- Russia delivers naval fighters to India - May 31, 2011
- Russia to showcase its best combat aircraft in Dubai - Nov 12, 2011
- Russia to deliver five MiG-29K fighters to India - Aug 13, 2011
- Malaysia plans to buy 18 more Russian fighter jets - Nov 15, 2011
- Antony flags delays in Russian defence supplies - Oct 05, 2011
- Russia signs $35 mn missile deal with Malaysia - Apr 20, 2012
- MiG-29 crashes in Siberia - Sep 07, 2012
- 35 Russian companies at Aero India 2011 - Feb 08, 2011
- India, Russia to review defence ties - Oct 04, 2011
- Will ground MiG-29 if needed: Indian Navy chief - Jun 24, 2011
- IAF chief to review aircraft projects in Russia - Aug 09, 2012
- Russia continues to dominate Indian military aviation - Aug 19, 2010
Tags: combat helicopters, cooperation service, defence minister elias murr, lebanese armed forces, mig 29 fighter, mig 29 fulcrum, ria novosti russia, robinson r44 raven, russian counterpart, united arab emirates