Russia to discuss Syria with IranJune 12th, 2012 - 3:10 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, June 12 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov will visit Iran June 13 to discuss his country’s proposal for convening an international conference on Syria, the foreign ministry said.
“We proceed from the fact that Iran should be among its participants, along with countries neighbouring with Syria and other states that have influence on Syrian sides,” the ministry’s press office said.
“Without Iran’s participation, the possibilities of constructive international influence on Syria will not be used in full,” it said.
At least 9,000 people have been killed in clashes between the government and opposition forces in Syria since the start of the uprising against President Bashar al-Assad last year, according to UN estimates.
The US has rejected the idea of Iran’s participation in the Syrian crisis settlement.
Moscow believes an international conference on Syria should be held under the aegis of the UN and should bring together the five permanent members of the UN Security Council, Syria’s neighbours — Iraq, Iran, Lebanon, Jordan and Turkey, and also Qatar and Saudi Arabia, as well as the League of Arab States and the European Union.
In the efforts to settle the Syrian crisis, “the most topical task that remains today is to assist the fulfilment of the plan proposed by UN and Arab League envoy Kofi Annan and approved by the UN Security Council and remove problems impeding these efforts”, the press office said.
- Moscow ready to host conference on Syria - Jun 13, 2012
- Syria on brink of civil conflict: Lavrov - Jun 10, 2012
- Russia ready to back Annan proposals on Syria in UNSC - Mar 21, 2012
- Annan admits failure of Syrian peace mission - Jul 08, 2012
- UN Syria envoy Kofi Annan to visit Russia - Mar 22, 2012
- Clinton warns Russia over Syria policy - Jun 14, 2012
- No arms to Syria opposition: France - Apr 20, 2012
- Russia denies holding talks over Assad exit - Jun 16, 2012
- Putin to meet Annan to discuss Syria crisis - Jul 16, 2012
- Russia denies changing its stance on Syria - Jun 22, 2012
- Russia to keep supporting Syria peace plan - May 06, 2012
- Russia calls for UN monitors to stay in Syria - Aug 03, 2012
- 'No Syrian crisis settlement without Russia, China' - Apr 28, 2012
- US blames Russia, China for Annan mission failure - Aug 03, 2012
- Iran must participate in Syria Talks: Russia - Jun 23, 2012
Tags: aegis, arab league, bashar al assad, clashes, fact that iran, foreign minister, foreign ministry, fulfilment, international influence, kofi annan, league of arab states, members of the un security council, neighbours, opposition forces, president bashar, ria novosti, saudi arabia, sergei lavrov, un security council, uprising