Russia to deploy more intercontinental ballistic missilesFebruary 28th, 2008 - 11:56 pm ICT by admin
Moscow, Feb 28 (RIA Novosti) Russia’s Strategic Missile Forces (SMF) would deploy 11 new silo and mobile-launched Topol-M intercontinental ballistic missiles in 2008, the SMF commander has said. General Nikolai Solovtsov said the weapons would be deployed in the European part of Russia, adding: “The SMF will receive 11 up-to-date Topol-M ICBMs in two versions (silo and mobile-launched)”.
The missile (NATO reporting name SS-27), with a range of about 7,000 miles (11,000 km), is said to be immune to any current and future US anti ballistic missile defence. It is capable of making evasive manoeuvres to avoid terminal phase interceptors and carries targeting countermeasures and decoys.
It is also shielded against radiation, electromagnetic pulse, nuclear blasts, and is designed to survive a hit from any form of laser technology.
General Solovtsov earlier said that Topol-M systems would be equipped with multiple independently targetable re-entry vehicles (MIRV) in the next two or three years.
Russia, which now operates around 50 Topol-Ms, resumed strategic bomber patrol flights over the Pacific, Atlantic, and Arctic oceans last August, following an order by President Vladimir Putin.
In a speech Feb 8, Putin blamed the West for unleashing a new international arms race.
- Russia to train soldiers for missile systems - Jan 18, 2012
- Russia may adopt new ICBM by 2022 - May 08, 2012
- New Russian missile can carry bigger warhead: Expert - Sep 08, 2012
- Russia to build new intercontinental missile by 2018 - Sep 04, 2012
- Russia test fires missile - Dec 24, 2009
- Russia to launch latest ballistic missiles - May 05, 2008
- Russia to test launch ballistic missile - Apr 10, 2009
- Putin pledges 400 ICBMs for Russia in 10 years - Feb 20, 2012
- Russia to keep Topol missiles until 2019 - Oct 29, 2011
- Russia test launches ICBM - Nov 03, 2011
- US deploys more missiles than Russia - Oct 26, 2011
- Russia successfully test fires troubled Bulava missile - Oct 07, 2010
- Missiles of the world - a look at countries' arsenals - Apr 19, 2012
- Putin, Obama agree to continue missile talks - Jun 19, 2012
- Russia rules out cuts to nuclear budget - May 07, 2009
Tags: anti ballistic missile, arctic oceans, ballistic missile defence, decoys, electromagnetic pulse, interceptors, intercontinental ballistic missiles, laser technology, m systems, manoeuvres, missile forces, nikolai solovtsov, nuclear blasts, president vladimir putin, ria novosti russia, silo, terminal phase, topol, topol m, vladimir putin