Russia to build nuclear reactor for VenezuelaNovember 17th, 2008 - 3:14 pm ICT by IANS
Maracaibo (Venezuela), Nov 17 (RIA Novosti) Russia will help Venezuela build its first nuclear reactor in the northwestern province of Zulia, Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez said.Chavez had announced Friday that Venezuela was in talks with Russia on nuclear energy cooperation, and the issue is likely to be discussed during Russian President Dmitry Medvedev’s visit later this month.
“A nuclear reactor, to produce energy for peaceful purposes, will soon be built in Estado Zulia and named in honour of the Venezuelan scientist of the last century Humberto Fernandez Moran,” Chavez told a gathering in Maracaibo, the capital of Zulia state.
“Brazil has several nuclear reactors, as does Argentina. We will also have our own reactor,” the president said.
Medvedev’s trip to Venezuela Nov 26 will be the first visit by a Russian president to the Latin American country.
Russian nuclear power plant constructor Atomstroyexport, established in 1998, has completed or is working on reactors in Iran, Bulgaria, Hungary, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, China and India.
- Venezuela releases US ship, skipper (Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- Venezuela releases US ship, skipper - Sep 12, 2012
- Venezuela freezes nuclear power plan - Mar 17, 2011
- India, Russia discuss additional n-reactors in Tamil Nadu - Dec 21, 2010
- Russian n-reactor designer held for fraud - Apr 18, 2012
- Venezuela, Argentina sign 25 accords - Apr 21, 2010
- Russia to help Venezuela develop nuclear project - Apr 03, 2010
- Cancer-hit Chavez to leave Cuba next week - Mar 09, 2012
- Russia, Venezuela sign energy, defence deals - Apr 04, 2010
- Belarus to help build space facility in Venezuela - Jul 05, 2012
- Syria should resolve crisis on its own: Chavez - Aug 02, 2012
- Chavez sees US hand in Russia protests - Dec 29, 2011
- Venezuela to pull gold reserves out of US, Europe - Aug 19, 2011
- Chavez back in Cuba for cancer treatment - Mar 26, 2012
- Russia asks Pakistan to expedite 26/11 probe, backs India for UNSC seat (Lead) - Dec 21, 2010
Tags: first nuclear reactor, hugo chavez, latin american country, maracaibo venezuela, nuclear power plant, president hugo chavez, ria novosti russia, venezuelan president hugo, venezuelan president hugo chavez, zulia state