Russia to build n-powered destroyer by 2016June 30th, 2011 - 9:06 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, June 30 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russia will finish in 2016 the construction of a new destroyer, most likely to be nuclear-powered, a top official said Thursday.
“A prototype of an ocean-going class destroyer will be built in 2016 for the country’s navy,” Adm. Vladimir Vysotsky, commander of the Russian Navy, said at the Fifth International Maritime Defence Show in St. Petersburg.
The admiral said there was 90 percent probability that the warship would be equipped with a nuclear-powered engine.
Roman Trotsenko, president of the United Shipbuilding Corporation, also said his company would start designing a new-generation, nuclear-powered destroyer for the navy this year. He said the design phase will take up to two years.
- Russian Navy to induct eight N-submarines by 2020 - Jul 30, 2011
- Russia hands over Nerpa nuclear submarine to India - Jan 23, 2012
- Russia's new attack submarine starts sea trials - Sep 13, 2011
- New Russian n-sub completes first sea trials - Oct 06, 2011
- Russia to launch new nuclear submarine on May 7 - Mar 15, 2010
- Russia test fires sub-launched missile - Jun 28, 2011
- Putin attends n-submarine ceremony - Jul 31, 2012
- Medvedev sacks navy vice admiral - Apr 19, 2011
- Russia's n-powered submarine to enter service by June - Jan 21, 2012
- No plans to retire Russia's Typhoon class submarine - Sep 30, 2011
- Russia test-fires ballistic missile - Jul 28, 2011
- Graney class N-sub delivery to Russian Navy delayed - Dec 03, 2011
- Russia to send team to monitor Japan n-contamination - Apr 16, 2011
- Dozens of protesters detained in Russia - Jun 01, 2011
- India main market for Russian satellite navigation - Dec 13, 2011
Tags: adm, admiral, class destroyer, design phase, international maritime, maritime defence, moscow, new destroyer, new generation, probability, prototype, ria novosti russia, russian navy, shipbuilding, st petersburg, vladimir vysotsky, vm, warship