Russia to back bid for Palestinian statehoodSeptember 23rd, 2011 - 11:46 am ICT by IANS
United Nations, Sep 23 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russia will support a Palestinian bid for statehood at the UN, Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov has said.
“As long ago as 1989, when the Palestinian state was proclaimed, the Soviet Union at the time recognised the statehood of Palestinians…since then we have had in Moscow the embassy of the state of Palestine headed by a full fledged ambassador.” Lavrov said an interview with CNN, due to be released Sunday.
“Yes, we have no difficulty,” he said, when asked if Russian would support the Palestinian bid.
He also said the Palestinians “deserve to be heard, and to see what the international community thinks of the case”.
“The reason why they want a UN vote is that they want to emphasise their urgency for the negotiations to be resumed on the basis of existing legal framework, which is composed of Security Council resolutions and decisions by the Arab quartet,” Lavrov added.
Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas is expected to deliver a formal request for statehood recognition Friday when he speaks to the UN General Assembly.
Israel and the US strongly oppose the move, saying the long-running Middle East conflict can be resolved only through negotiations.
Washington has pledged to veto any Palestinian statehood bid in the UN Security Council.
- Abbas to submit UN bid after General Assembly address - Sep 23, 2011
- Palestine wants UN vote for statehood - Sep 05, 2011
- US, Russia continue Syria discussions - Jun 15, 2012
- Israel calls for elections to replace Palestinian leader - Aug 23, 2012
- Israel declines to accept Palestine's Unesco membership - Nov 01, 2011
- Palestinian group accuses Obama of u-turn - May 25, 2011
- Israel criticises Palestinian president's UN speech - Sep 24, 2011
- UNSC to consider Palestinian statehood bid Monday - Sep 24, 2011
- Russia to give $2 mn for Palestinian refugees - Aug 03, 2012
- Moscow calls for political pressure on Syria to end violence - Jun 22, 2011
- Netanyahu calls for stepped up settlement construction - Nov 02, 2011
- Palestinian membership bid report sent to UNSC - Nov 12, 2011
- Russia to support Palestine's UN bid for statehood - Sep 14, 2011
- Russia denies supplying gunships to Syria - Jun 25, 2012
- India backs Palestinian bid for UN membership - Oct 01, 2011
Tags: cnn, foreign minister, formal request, legal framework, mahmoud abbas, middle east conflict, mj, palestinian president mahmoud, palestinian president mahmoud abbas, palestinian state, palestinian statehood, palestinians, president mahmoud abbas, ria novosti, security council resolutions, sergei lavrov, soviet union, state of palestine, un general assembly, un security council