Russia tests Italian tankMay 12th, 2012 - 6:41 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, May 12 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russia is testing Italy’s Centauro tank and considers building it under license, a representative of the Oto-Melara company which makes the tank said Saturday.
“The first two machines with 105-mm and 125-mm guns are on trial…,” he said.
Two more Centauros with 120-mm and 30-mm guns will also join the trials in another six weeks.
“The tanks will take part in laboratory, driving and firing trials,” the Oto-Melara representative said.
When the trials are complete at the end of this year, Russia will consider creating a joint venture for production of the tank with an enterprise from the Russian military-industrial complex, he said.
Russian truck maker Kamaz in Naberezhny Chelny could be involved in the deal, according to a source in Russian arms sales holding Rosoboronexport.
Russia signed a deal with Italy in December for the semi-knocked down assembly of 60 Lynx light multirole armoured vehicles (LMV) from Iveco, Deputy Defense Minister Alexander Sukhorukov said in January.
Oto-Melara, part of the Italian Finnmeccanica group, is part of the CIO joint venture with vehicle manufacturer Iveco to make military vehicles.
Italy already has 400 Centauros in service. The 24 tonne tank has a four-man crew, top speed of 100 km/h and a range of 800 km. It has a main gun and two 7.62 mm machineguns.
- Russian army to get Boomerang armoured carriers - Feb 22, 2012
- Russia denies 'systemic crisis' in space industry - Sep 07, 2012
- Russia to dispose of 4 million guns, including AK-47s - Mar 15, 2012
- Russia, Israel talk to build new drone - Jun 14, 2012
- Russia to test first combat drone in 2014 - Apr 20, 2012
- Moscow ramps up security ahead of Putin inauguration - May 06, 2012
- Russia to showcase 70 weapon systems in Bangkok - Mar 06, 2012
- Russian truck maker to open facility in India - Feb 18, 2010
- Exclude Russia from arms show: Human Rights Watch to France - Jun 10, 2012
- Indian frigate sails for sea trials in Russia - May 24, 2012
- Russia to sell armoured vehicles to Indonesia - Jan 31, 2012
- Russian firm to build dozens of transport aircraft by 2020 - Jan 20, 2012
- Anti-tank rifle seized from Russian man's home - Aug 03, 2012
- Russia launches submarine for Vietnam - Aug 28, 2012
- Russia scraps outdated tanks, armoured vehicles - Mar 24, 2012
Tags: armoured vehicles, centauro, centauros, chelny, defense minister, deputy defense, joint venture, kamaz, lynx, man crew, military industrial complex, military vehicles, oto melara, ria novosti russia, rosoboronexport russia, russian arms, six weeks, tonne, top speed, vehicle manufacturer