Russia test launches RS-18 ballistic missile (Lead)December 28th, 2011 - 1:35 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, Dec 28 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russia successfully test-launched intercontinental ballistic missile — RS-18 (SS-19 Stiletto) — Tuesday from the Baikonur Space Centre in Kazakhstan, said the defence ministry.
The missile is capable of carrying up to six warheads.
“The goal of the test launch is to prove the stability and basic technical characteristics of missiles of this kind,” said defence ministry spokesman Vadim Koval.
Developed by the Chelomei Design Bureau, the RS-18 is a silo-based, liquid-propellant missile, which together with the RS-16 (SS-17) and RS-20 (SS-18) comprises the fourth generation of Russian strategic missiles.
The Russian Strategic Missile Forces are considering the possibility of extending the RS-18 missiles’ service term by one year to 33 years, he added.
A source in Russia’s defence industry said RS-18 missiles are currently used to test advanced warheads designed to penetrate missile defences.
- Russia to train soldiers for missile systems - Jan 18, 2012
- Russia may adopt new ICBM by 2022 - May 08, 2012
- New Russian missile can carry bigger warhead: Expert - Sep 08, 2012
- Russia to build new intercontinental missile by 2018 - Sep 04, 2012
- Russia test fires new ballistic missile - May 23, 2012
- Russia test-fires ballistic missile - Jul 28, 2011
- Russia test fires missile - Dec 24, 2009
- Bulava missile ready to be deployed - Dec 27, 2011
- Bulava missile dangerous for Russia: Experts - Feb 21, 2012
- Russia successfully test fires Bulava missiles - Dec 24, 2011
- Russian convicted of leaking military secrets - May 18, 2012
- Russia test launches ICBM - Nov 03, 2011
- Russia's n-powered submarine to enter service by June - Jan 21, 2012
- US, Russia, Norway to hold joint naval drills - Aug 23, 2012
- Joint Russia-India missile to be ready by 2017 - Jun 28, 2012
Tags: 33 years, baikonur space, defence industry, defence ministry spokesman, intercontinental ballistic missile, launch, liquid propellant, missile defences, missile forces, missiles, moscow, ria novosti russia, silo, space centre, ss, stiletto, strategic missile, technical characteristics, vadim, warheads