Russia test launches ICBMNovember 3rd, 2011 - 5:09 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Nov 3 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russia test launched a Topol RS-12M intercontinental ballistic missile Thursday, the defense ministry said.
It was launched at 10.45 a.m. from the Plesetsk Space Center and hit a designated target on the Kamchatka peninsula.
“The launch was designed to test the stability of the basic specifications of this class of missiles as their service life has been extended to 24 years,” the ministry said.
The tested missile was built in 1987 and was on alert duty until July 2007, after which it was placed in storage.
Strategic Missile Forces chief Lt. Gen. Sergei Karakayev said recently the service life of Topol mobile ballistic missile systems could be extended until 2019.
The RS-12M Topol (SS-25 Sickle), a single-warhead intercontinental ballistic missile, entered service in 1985.
It has a maximum range of 10,000 km and can carry a nuclear warhead with a yield of up to 550 kilotons.
- Russia to keep Topol missiles until 2019 - Oct 29, 2011
- Russia to build new intercontinental missile by 2018 - Sep 04, 2012
- New Russian missile can carry bigger warhead: Expert - Sep 08, 2012
- Russia test fires new ballistic missile - May 23, 2012
- Russia may adopt new ICBM by 2022 - May 08, 2012
- Russian missile fails test launch - Sep 28, 2011
- Russia to test launch ballistic missile - Apr 10, 2009
- Russia test-fires ballistic missile - Jul 28, 2011
- Russia to train soldiers for missile systems - Jan 18, 2012
- Russia test launches RS-18 ballistic missile (Lead) - Dec 28, 2011
- Bulava missile ready to be deployed - Dec 27, 2011
- Russia successfully test fires Bulava missiles - Dec 24, 2011
- Russia test fires missile - Dec 24, 2009
- Russia test-fires new ICBM - Oct 12, 2008
- Russia's n-powered submarine to enter service by June - Jan 21, 2012
Tags: 24 years, defense ministry, icbm, intercontinental ballistic missile, kamchatka peninsula, launch, lt, maximum range, missile forces, missile systems, missiles, moscow, nuclear warhead, ria novosti russia, space center, ss 25, strategic missile, target, topol