Russia suspends Syria action group meetAugust 17th, 2012 - 9:45 pm ICT by IANS
United Nations, Aug 17 (IANS/RIA Novosti) A Russian-sponsored initiative for a meeting of the Action Group on Syria at the UN headquarters in New York has been suspended indefinitely, the Russian delegation at the New York headquarters said Friday.
“The planned Action Group meeting on Syria today has been suspended at the request of some members of the group,” the Russian delegation said in a statement.
The delegation said the meeting should be devoted to the agreement reached at the June 30 ministerial meeting in Geneva.
The Action Group includes representatives of five permanent member nations of the UN Security Council and some neighbouring nations of Syria.
The first meeting of the group’s foreign ministers in Geneva agreed for the necessity to form a transitional government in Syria with the participation of all sides in the ongoing conflict there.
- Pussy Riot members found guilty in Russia - Aug 17, 2012
- Russia proposes deadline to stop Syria violence - Aug 17, 2012
- Car bomb blast near UN hotel in Syria - Aug 15, 2012
- Russia calls for UN monitors to stay in Syria - Aug 03, 2012
- Pussy Riot members found guilty in Moscow (Lead) - Aug 17, 2012
- Syria denies facing 'Civil War' - Jun 14, 2012
- US keeps Russia on 'national threat' list - Aug 17, 2012
- US to build new embassy building in Moscow - Feb 27, 2012
- Ukrainian court jails radioactive metal thieves - Aug 28, 2012
- Putin warns against bypassing UNSC Syria veto - Jul 21, 2012
- Russia warns citizens not to travel to Syria - Jun 21, 2012
- Russia denies changing its stance on Syria - Jun 22, 2012
- Libyan rebels council seeks Arab League recognition - Mar 12, 2011
- Russia to give $2 mn for Palestinian refugees - Aug 03, 2012
- Russia printing Syrian currency - Jun 14, 2012
Tags: conflict, dg, first meeting, foreign ministers, geneva, initiative, member nations, participation, ria novosti, russia, russian delegation, syria today, transitional government, un security council, united nations, york headquarters