Russia sets conditions on peacekeeping mission to SyriaFebruary 14th, 2012 - 8:50 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, Feb 14 (IANS/RIA Novosti) An international peacekeeping mission to Syria requires approval from Damascus and, first of all, an end to the ongoing violence, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said Monday.
The Arab League, which ended an observer mission in Syria, asked the UN Security Council Sunday to send a peacekeeping force to the country.
It also called on Arab nations to break diplomatic relations with Damascus to pressure it to put an end to the ongoing violence.
“The host country has first to approve a peacekeeping mission,” Lavrov said.
“A peacekeeping mission should first have peace that it will then keep,” he said.
Russia and China vetoed a UN Security Council resolution on Syria that called on President Bashar al-Assad to step down. Thirteen of the council’s 15 members voted in favour of the resolution to help stop the violence in Syria.
The West has been trying to persuade Russia to support a resolution authorising a military operation but Moscow has repeatedly insisted that the Western drive for a stronger crackdown on Syria was preparation for a scenario like Libya where its leader Muammar Gaddafi was killed by rebels after months of a NATO-led operation.
- UN Syria envoy Kofi Annan to visit Russia - Mar 22, 2012
- Russia ready to back Annan proposals on Syria in UNSC - Mar 21, 2012
- No Russian asylum for Syrian president: Minister - Mar 21, 2012
- Moscow ready to host conference on Syria - Jun 13, 2012
- Russia to keep supporting Syria peace plan - May 06, 2012
- Syrian president ready for constitutional referendum - Feb 08, 2012
- Russia hits out at West's 'chilling' stance on Syria - Jul 25, 2012
- Direct talks in Syrian standoff unlikely: Russia - May 15, 2012
- 'No Syrian crisis settlement without Russia, China' - Apr 28, 2012
- Russia defends decision on Syria resolution - Feb 07, 2012
- US, Russia continue Syria discussions - Jun 15, 2012
- Putin, Obama did not discuss refuge for Assad: Official - Jul 19, 2012
- US 'disgusted' by Russia, China veto on Syria resolution - Feb 05, 2012
- Clinton warns Russia over Syria policy - Jun 14, 2012
- Russia, China must pay for supporting Assad: Clinton - Jul 06, 2012
Tags: arab league, arab nations, bashar al assad, crackdown, damascus, diplomatic relations, favour, feb 14, foreign minister, host country, military operation, muammar gaddafi, observer mission, peacekeeping force, president bashar, rebels, ria novosti, security council resolution, sergei lavrov, un security council