Russia sends 50 tonnes of mineral water to quake-hit JapanMay 18th, 2011 - 4:55 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, May 18 (IANS/RIA Novosti) A vessel from Russia’s Far East Shipping Company carrying 50 tonnes of bottled mineral water as humanitarian aid for Japan would set off Wednesday from Vladivostok, a spokeswoman said.
A magnitude-9 quake struck off Japan’s northeast coast March 11, triggering a tsunami and explosions in the Fukushima nuclear power plant. Almost 15,000 people died in the disaster and over 9,000 more remain unaccounted for. The government says the damage from the disaster could total $310 billion.
“It turned out during consultations with the Japanese Consulate General in Vladivostok that territories in Japan, which suffered from the earthquake, are in need of mineral water, primarily for nourishment of children up to one year of age,” company spokesperson Tatyana Kulikova said.
The company has provided over 32,000 bottles of mineral water, which will be delivered by the Nikolay vessel. The ship is expected to dock at Japan’s Hamada port May 25.
- Fuel rods at Japan n-reactor may have melted - May 12, 2011
- Japan's quake-tsunami toll nears 13,800 - Apr 17, 2011
- Japan quake-tsunami toll tops 14,700 - May 01, 2011
- Japan quake, tsunami toll tops 12,000 - Apr 03, 2011
- Toll from Japan quake nears 15,000 - May 10, 2011
- Japanese royal couple to visit Fukushima - May 11, 2011
- Radiation detected on Japan seabed - Jun 28, 2011
- 'Japan has no plans to dump spent nuclear fuel abroad' - May 10, 2011
- Japanese car-makers to work on weekends to save energy - Jul 02, 2011
- Russia, US to hold anti-terror drill - Oct 04, 2011
- Japan urges end of nuclear industry - Aug 01, 2011
- Dangerous radiation level at Fukushima No.1 reactor detected - May 10, 2011
- Fukushima plant operator to evacuate control room personnel - Mar 15, 2011
- Russian found with radioactive car - Apr 10, 2012
- Tokyo operator to be banned from Fukushima n-plant - Apr 24, 2011
Tags: bottled mineral water, company spokesperson, consultations, dg, earthquake, explosions, far east, hamada, humanitarian aid, japanese consulate general, magnitude 9, march 11, nourishment, nuclear power plant, quake, ria novosti, shipping company, spokeswoman, tonnes, vladivostok