Russia seeks India, Pakistan to join SCOMay 12th, 2012 - 5:29 am ICT by IANS
Beijing, May 12 (IANS) Russia has given a call to speed up the process of India and Pakistan’s accession to the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO), an intergovernmental mutual-security organisation, RIA Novosti reported.
The call was given by Russia’s acting Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov while participating in a meeting of foreign ministers of the SCO member states in Beijing Friday.
He also said delaying the decision on their membership was “counterproductive”.
The SCO, set up in 2001, includes Russia, China, Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan.
Pakistan, India, Iran and Mongolia have observer status while Turkmenistan and Afghanistan attend SCO gatherings as guest nations.
China has held the organisation’s rotating presidency since Aug 1, 2011.
Meanwhile, during the meeting, Lavrov said that an international meet on Afghanistan will take place in Kabul June 14.
“We should actively participate in all international discussions on Afghanistan-related problems, coordinating our positions and stressing the SCO’s readiness to constructively contribute to efforts by the international community aimed at the political and economic revival of Afghanistan,” said Lavrov.
The minister said granting SCO observer status to the country (Afghanistan) would help achieve these goals.
Russia has no common border with Afghanistan, but the two countries are only separated by former Soviet Central Asian republics that have porous borders with Russia and Afghanistan.
- Russia wants India, Pakistan in SCO (Lead) - May 12, 2012
- India to pitch for larger role at SCO summit - May 27, 2012
- SCO summit convenes in Beijing - Jun 05, 2012
- Chinese PM to visit Russia - Nov 06, 2011
- Krishna goes to China for SCO summit - Jun 04, 2012
- Putin proposes anti-terror centre in SCO - Jun 07, 2012
- Ahmadinejad to attend Shanghai summit - Jun 03, 2012
- Pakistani PM to attend SCO summit in Russia - Nov 01, 2011
- Zardari, Ahmadinejad reach China for Shanghai summit - Jun 05, 2012
- Russia backs India for SCO member - Nov 17, 2011
- India ups SCO sales pitch - Jun 07, 2012
- China to issue $10 bn in loans to SCO members - Jun 07, 2012
- India pitches for SCO's membership, Afghan role - Jun 05, 2012
- Pakistan wants full SCO membership - Jun 06, 2012
- (HOLD) Krishna leaves for SCO summit in China - Jun 05, 2012
Tags: beijing, central asian republics, economic revival, foreign minister, foreign ministers, gatherings, india and pakistan, india pakistan, international discussions, june 14, kabul, kyrgyzstan, member states, mutual security, observer status, pakistan india, presidency, ria novosti, sergei lavrov, shanghai cooperation organisation