Russia seeks greater energy ties through Shanghai forumMay 24th, 2008 - 8:31 pm ICT by admin
Beijing, May 24 (RIA Novosti) New spheres of cooperation, mainly in the energy sector, should be developed through the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO), Russian President Dmitry Medvedev told Chinese students Saturday. The president, on the second day of his official visit to Beijing, told students at Peking University: “Within the framework of this organisation we are able to agree on new directions of cooperation, including on the energy issue.”
The SCO, a regional bloc comprising Russia, China, Kazakhstan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Uzbekistan, primarily addresses security issues, but has recently moved to embrace various economic and social projects.
The Russian president said the economies of both Russia and China are growing rapidly, raising the importance of energy ties.
“We understand that in the future we will need additional sources of energy,” he said. “We must develop both our own energy projects and projects connected with processing of various energy sources, including oil and gas.”
Peking University, known as Beida, is China’s second oldest university and one of the country’s most selective. In English, the university retains the old name for Beijing.
Medvedev began the second day of his visit to China by visiting a monument on Tiananmen Square, and later met with the chairman of the National People’s Congress.
On Friday, he met with Chinese President Hu Jintao. The sides signed a joint declaration on a range of issues, in particular US plans to establish a global missile defence system, which the leaders said threatened the global strategic balance.
- Putin proposes anti-terror centre in SCO - Jun 07, 2012
- China to issue $10 bn in loans to SCO members - Jun 07, 2012
- Chinese PM to visit Russia - Nov 06, 2011
- Putin to pay state visit to China - May 13, 2012
- Zardari, Ahmadinejad reach China for Shanghai summit - Jun 05, 2012
- Ahmadinejad to attend Shanghai summit - Jun 03, 2012
- Pakistan wants full SCO membership - Jun 06, 2012
- Russia seeks India, Pakistan to join SCO - May 12, 2012
- China, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan hold anti-terror drills - May 08, 2011
- Russia backs India for SCO member - Nov 17, 2011
- SCO against interventionism, says Chinese president - Jun 06, 2012
- Russia wants India, Pakistan in SCO (Lead) - May 12, 2012
- SCO summit convenes in Beijing - Jun 05, 2012
- Krishna, in 'holding room', with Zardari at Beijing - Jun 06, 2012
- India pitches for SCO's membership, Afghan role - Jun 05, 2012
Tags: beida, chinese president hu, chinese students, dmitry medvedev, energy issue, energy projects, energy sector, energy sources, hu jintao, missile defence system, oldest university, own energy, peking university, regional bloc, ria novosti, russian president, shanghai cooperation organisation, social projects, sources of energy, tiananmen square