Russia says Annan’s mission offers last chance to SyriaMarch 25th, 2012 - 11:59 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, March 25 (IANS) Russian President Dmitry Medvedev Sunday told UN-Arab League envoy Kofi Annan that his mission may be the last chance for Syria to avoid a civil war.
“The Annan mission, perhaps, is the last chance for Syria to avoid a long period civil war,” Medvedev told the visiting Annan, the UN-Arab envoy on the Syrian crisis, here, reported Xinhua.
The Russian president also said that Moscow will offer its help to resolve the Syrian conflict in a peaceful way.
Medvedev hailed the former UN secretary-general’s peacemaking efforts.
“We very much appreciate your intermediary efforts in solving Syrian problems,” the president said, expecting such efforts would bring “positive results.”
During the meeting, Annan said he would make all endeavours to ensure access to humanitarian aid for strife-torn Syria.
He appreciated Russia’s involvement in the Syrian issue and support for his mission.
“Hopefully, we will manage to make a positive contribution to the resolution of the Syrian issue with Russia’s most active involvement,” Annan said.
The meeting was held at the governmental airport, Vnukovo-2, before Medvedev’s departure for a nuclear summit in Seoul and a BRICS summit in New Delhi.
Earlier Sunday, Annan also held a meeting with Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov in a closed format.
According to a Russian Foreign Ministry’s statement, when meeting with Annan, Lavrov called on to end violence in Syria and establish a Syrian political process.
The Russian minister also urged the international community to provide consolidated assistance to Annan’s mission, the ministry said.
Annan arrived in Moscow Saturday.
- Assad departure no solution to Syrian problems: Russia - Mar 28, 2012
- Russia supports Annan's mediation efforts on Syria : Putin - Jul 18, 2012
- Syria on brink of civil conflict: Lavrov - Jun 10, 2012
- Russia calls for political dialogue in Syria - Aug 25, 2012
- Moscow ready to host conference on Syria - Jun 13, 2012
- Russia ready to back Annan proposals on Syria in UNSC - Mar 21, 2012
- Russia denies changing its stance on Syria - Jun 22, 2012
- China, Russia to make joint efforts for Syria - May 11, 2012
- Russia to keep supporting Syria peace plan - May 06, 2012
- Russia urges new UN envoy to stick to Syria peace plan - Aug 18, 2012
- Russian, Western differences on Syria exaggerated: Medvedev - Jul 31, 2012
- UN Syria envoy Kofi Annan to visit Russia - Mar 22, 2012
- UN chief working for peaceful solution in Syria - Jul 22, 2012
- No arms to Syria opposition: France - Apr 20, 2012
- Direct talks in Syrian standoff unlikely: Russia - May 15, 2012
Tags: arab league, civil war, dmitry medvedev, endeavours, foreign minister, humanitarian aid, kofi annan, last chance, march 25, New Delhi, nuclear summit, peacemaking efforts, russian foreign ministry, russian minister, russian president, seoul, sergei lavrov, strife, un secretary general, xinhua