Russia reveals huge diamond source under asteroid craterSeptember 18th, 2012 - 8:59 pm ICT by IANS
London, Sep 18 (IANS) Russia can supply diamonds across world markets for the next 3,000 years. The government has revealed a vast diamond source under a 100-km-wide crater that was created by an asteroid 35 million years ago.
Russia discovered the site in the 1970s but kept it a secret until now to exploit the tightly controlled diamond market, the Daily Mail reported.
At the Popigai Astroblem crater in Siberia, the diamonds are twice as hard, making them ideal for high-precision scientific instruments and industry, the report said.
The government finally gave scientists from the Novosibirsk Institute of Geology and Mineralogy permission to reveal the crater’s secret.
The stones at Popigai are known as “impact diamonds”, which are created when an object like a meteor strikes an existing diamond deposit.
“The resources of super-hard diamonds contained in rocks of the Popigai crypto-explosion structure are by a factor of ten bigger than the world’s all known reserves,” institute director Nikolai Pokhilenko was quoted as saying.
Diamond production was booming in Russia in 2007 when output reached $1.35 billion. Around 98 percent were exported to Belgium, Israel, southeast Asia and the US.
But polished diamond production fell to an unprecedented low of $350 million during the economic crisis in 2009.
- Earth's oldest crater found in Greenland - Jun 29, 2012
- Russia to raise fuel export duties due to domestic shortage - Apr 29, 2011
- Woman kills herself in party office - Jul 22, 2012
- Antarctica may have been formed by asteroid strike: Study - Jun 02, 2010
- Plane makes emergency landing in Russia - Jul 04, 2011
- Ammo train explodes, sets off Siberia wildfire - Jul 26, 2012
- Giant asteroid collision created 50 km wide undersea dome - May 24, 2010
- Russian pilot dies of heart attack mid-flight - Jan 21, 2012
- 148 Foot Wide Meteorite Crater Found In Egypt - Jul 31, 2010
- Russia to buy 92 Su-34 fighters - Mar 01, 2012
Tags: 1970s, daily mail, diamond market, diamond production, diamond source, diamonds, economic crisis, explosion, geology, institute director, meteor, million years, mineralogy, nikolai, novosibirsk, rocks, scientific instruments, siberia, southeast asia, world markets