Russia returns Chinese island after 79 yearsOctober 14th, 2008 - 7:48 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Oct 14 (DPA) Russia Tuesday formally returned to China half of an island that was seized in 1929 by troops of the former Soviet Union during a border skirmish.Chinese and Russian diplomats and defence officials held a ceremony to unveil new boundary markers on Heixiazi (Bolshoi Ussuriysky) Island in a border river, the government said.
The two nations signed a final agreement in July on disputed areas along their 4,300-km border, with Russia reportedly conceding 174 sq km, including two small islands in the river.
Foreign ministry spokesman Qin Gang Tuesday said the border settlement could set an example for other countries on how to resolve “sensitive” and “complicated” issues.
China said Russia had also conceded Yinlong (Tarabarov) island which, like Heixiazi island, is at the confluence of the Heilong and the Wusuli (Ussuri) rivers on China’s border with Russia’s far east.
“The experience of China and Russia in resolving border disputes left by historical reasons proves that peaceful dialogue and fair and reasonable consultation on an equal basis are an effective way,” Qin told reporters.
He said the settlement, which came after years of negotiations, “reflects the high level of the China-Russia strategic and coordinative partnership”.
- Russia, China to sign border agreement - Jul 19, 2008
- Russia to return Yinlong, Heixiazi Island to China - Jul 21, 2008
- Russia to hand over two border islands to China - Jul 04, 2008
- China urges Japan to stop territorial sovereignty violations - Aug 17, 2012
- China-Russia oil pipeline begins operation - Jan 01, 2011
- China seeks strong ties with Russia - Dec 12, 2011
- Russia, Ukraine reach pact in sea border talks - Jun 05, 2011
- China pushes for enhanced cooperation with Russia - Oct 21, 2011
- China, Russia seek to expand tourism ties - Mar 24, 2012
- Strong, deep earthquake hits below China-Russia border region - May 11, 2011
- China condemns Russia blast - Aug 20, 2012
- China not to use force in South China sea dispute - Jun 14, 2011
- China seeks peaceful solution to differences with neighbours (Lead) - Mar 06, 2012
- China becomes Russia's biggest trading partner - Oct 09, 2011
- 'US sending wrong signals over South China Sea' - Aug 05, 2012