Russia proposes deadline to stop Syria violenceAugust 17th, 2012 - 2:38 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Aug 17 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russia is proposing setting a concrete date for a new ceasefire between government troops and opposition forces in Syria, the Russian envoy to the UN has said.
The proposal is part of a statement drafted by Russia, which is expected to be adopted by members of the international Action Group for Syria during a meeting in New York Friday.
“The aim of this meeting is to urge the opposing parties to end violence as well as to appoint their representatives for the start of talks by the time it happens,” Vitaly Churkin said.
The Action Group for Syria comprises the permanent UN Security Council members - Russia, China, US, France and Britain - and key regional players.
Russia initiated the meeting following an announcement by French UN Ambassador Gerard Araud Thursday that the mandate of a UN observer mission in Syria, which expires Aug 19, would not be extended.
Russia had repeatedly called for the monitors, who were deployed in Syria in May under Kofi Annan’s peace plan, to remain in the violence-torn country in order to avoid possible “serious negative consequences” of their withdrawal.
The original mission of 300 military and civilian observers has been cut to 110 after intensified violence in Syria forced the monitors to suspend patrols in June.
The Syrian conflict has claimed up to 20,000 lives since March 2011, according to estimates by various opposition groups and the UN.
The UN refugee agency has registered almost 150,000 refugees in four countries bordering Syria.
- UNSC adopts plan to send observers to Syria - Apr 15, 2012
- UN extends mission of 300 observers in Syria - Jul 21, 2012
- UN approves sending 300 observers to Syria - Apr 22, 2012
- Russia calls for UN monitors to stay in Syria - Aug 03, 2012
- Russia ready to back Annan proposals on Syria in UNSC - Mar 21, 2012
- US blames Russia, China for Annan mission failure - Aug 03, 2012
- Russia urges new UN envoy to stick to Syria peace plan - Aug 18, 2012
- Ban backs UN presence in Syria - Aug 12, 2012
- UN to open Liaison office in Syria - Aug 17, 2012
- UN to send 300 peacekeepers to Syria by May-end - May 02, 2012
- UN Syria envoy Kofi Annan to visit Russia - Mar 22, 2012
- No arms to Syria opposition: France - Apr 20, 2012
- Annan admits failure of Syrian peace mission - Jul 08, 2012
- Syria on brink of civil war: Russia - Apr 21, 2012
- Direct talks in Syrian standoff unlikely: Russia - May 15, 2012
Tags: ceasefire, civilian observers, gerard araud, government troops, kofi annan, negative consequences, observer mission, opposition forces, opposition groups, peace plan, refugee agency, refugees, regional players, ria novosti russia, russian envoy, security council members, un security council, un security council members, us france, vitaly churkin