Russia opposes introduction of no-fly zone in SyriaJuly 7th, 2012 - 10:07 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, July 7 (IANS) Russia has termed the introduction of no-fly zone in Syria as “counter-productive” and “unilateral” step.
On Friday, the West-led Friends of Syria group called in Paris the introduction of a no-fly zone in Syria, the crisis-torn country.
“We repeatedly pointed out at the counter-productiveness of various unilateral steps, such like proposals about the creation of the humanitarian corridors and safety zones,” Xinhua reported Deputy Foreign Minister Gennady Gatilov as saying here Friday.
“These ideas have not been supported by the international humanitarian organisations working in Syria. These dubious ideas are not needed,” he said.
The diplomat stressed that the UN Security Council did not make the decision on imposing of a no-fly zone over Syria and was unlikely to agree with the idea, “especially after what had happened in Libya”.
The no-fly zone in Libya “had been introduced in contradiction to the UN resolutions and it was actively used by the NATO countries and some of their allies to support one of the sides in the conflict,” Gatilov said.
The no-fly zone in Libya resulted in heavy damage to the country’s infrastructure and civilian casualties, he told reporters.
“It is the time not for urging the introduction of the no-fly zone, but for actively implementing the declaration adopted at the Geneva meeting on June 30, which envisages the immediate stop of violence by all parties and the launch of a comprehensive political process,” he said.
- Russia opposes no-fly zone over Syria - Aug 18, 2012
- UN resolution on Libya too hasty, says Russia - Mar 23, 2011
- Russia-NATO Council meeting to address Libya issue (Lead) - Mar 23, 2011
- UAE reiterates support to UN's Libya mission - Mar 25, 2011
- Turkey ready to broker cease-fire over fears Libya may turn into "second Iraq or Afghanistan" - Mar 28, 2011
- NATO chief dismisses talk of intervention in Syria - Nov 05, 2011
- US will not put ground forces in Libya, says Obama - Mar 26, 2011
- China demands ceasefire in Libya - Mar 31, 2011
- Gaddafi needs to go: Obama - Mar 22, 2011
- Al Qaeda behind Syrian blasts, says Russia - May 14, 2012
- EU approves possible military operation for Libya - Apr 02, 2011
- Gaddafi regime brands UN resolution on no-fly zone in Libya as 'invalid' - Mar 20, 2011
- Robert Gates unaware about no-fly zone's duration in Libya - Mar 28, 2011
- US calls upon UN to authorise Libya air strikes - Mar 17, 2011
- Russia criticises UN chief's defence of Libya action - Dec 23, 2011
Tags: allies, civilian casualties, contradiction, corridors, diplomat, fly, fly zone, foreign minister, geneva, humanitarian organisations, launch, libya, moscow, nato countries, proposals, safety zones, syria, un resolutions, un security council, xinhua