Russia objects to foreign military intervention in LibyaMarch 12th, 2011 - 12:16 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, March 12 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Foreign military intervention in Libya is inadmissible in any form, the Russian foreign ministry said in a statement.
French President Nicolas Sarkozy has said France and Britain are ready to launch “targeted air strikes” on Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi’s forces if they use chemical weapons or warplanes against civilians.
“Foreign military intervention should be ruled out,” the Russian foreign ministry said.
The ministry’s statement welcomes the recent African Union resolution, which supports Libya’s sovereignty and territorial integrity and condemns any foreign military intervention.
The statement comes ahead of an emergency meeting by foreign ministers of Arab League member states, who will gather in Cairo to discuss whether to support introduction of a no-fly zone above Libya.
Calls for the zone closure have stepped up in recent days after Libyan armed forces launched further air strikes on the rebel frontline in the east of the country.
According to some media reports, NATO’s military staff have started drawing up contingency plans for sending air and naval forces into combat if called upon.
Thousands of people have been killed in Libya since the first protesters began demanding the end of Gaddafi’s 41-year rule in mid-February.
- NATO air strikes in Tripoli kill 19 civilians: Libyan TV - May 25, 2011
- France, Britain ready to hit Libya, says Sarkozy - Mar 11, 2011
- Gaddafi warns of ending cooperation with EU - Mar 11, 2011
- Medvedev rebuts Putin over Libya (Lead) - Mar 22, 2011
- Russia cancels evacuation flight to Libya - Mar 26, 2011
- French warplanes destroy Gaddafi's command centre - Mar 29, 2011
- Libyan rebels ask for weapons, says Italy - Apr 13, 2011
- Coalition forces 'strike Gaddafi's home town' : Libyan state TV - Mar 27, 2011
- Ground operation in Libya could start in April - Mar 26, 2011
- Chavez sends letter to Gaddafi wishing him victory - Aug 07, 2011
- Pro-Gaddafi forces renew air attacks on rebels - Mar 08, 2011
- Putin likens UN Libya resolution to crusade call - Mar 22, 2011
- US stopped 'Gaddafi's deadly advance': Obama (Lead) - Mar 29, 2011
- Moscow alarmed over NATO's disproportionate use of force in Libya - Jun 05, 2011
- 'Coalition forces paving rebels' way to Libyan oil facilities' - Mar 27, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,