Russia may repeat mission to Mars moonFebruary 1st, 2012 - 12:55 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Feb 1 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russia will send another sample mission to the Martian moon Phobos if the European Space Agency (ESA) decides not to include Russia in its ExoMars programme, the head of Russia’s space agency said Tuesday.
Phobos-Grunt, Russia’s most ambitious planetary mission in decades, was launched Nov 9, however, it was lost due to propulsion failure and fell back to Earth Jan 15.
“We are holding consultations with the ESA about Russia’s participation in the ExoMars project… If no deal is reached, we will repeat the attempt [to launch a Phobos mission],” Roscosmos chief Vladimir Popovkin said.
During the ExoMars mission, ESA plans to send an orbital spacecraft, ExoMars Trace Gas Orbiter, to Mars in 2016 and a robot rover two years later.
The rover will be able to cover several km in search of possible past and present signs of life, take samples from the surface and dig to the depth of two meters (six feet).
The ExoMars program was run jointly by NASA and ESA but the US space agency later said it would cut its participation in the project and will not provide its Atlas carrier for the launch.
- Russia plans new Mars probe in 2018 - Feb 02, 2012
- Russia to send man to moon by 2030 - Apr 28, 2012
- Russia wants to join Mars mission - Oct 16, 2011
- Russia's Mars spacecraft falls in Pacific Ocean - Jan 16, 2012
- Programme glitch led to Russian Mars probe failure: Report - Jan 31, 2012
- US radar may have damaged Russian Mars probe: Daily - Jan 17, 2012
- Russian probe fails to set course to Mars - Nov 09, 2011
- Russia denies 'systemic crisis' in space industry - Sep 07, 2012
- Russia fails to make contact with Mars moon probe - Nov 12, 2011
- Russia's troubled Mars probe to hit earth - Jan 13, 2012
- Russia, Europe plan joint mission to Jupiter - Dec 21, 2011
- Russia revives permanent moon base plan - Jan 19, 2012
- Russia's Mars spacecraft to fall back to Earth - Jan 14, 2012
- Russia to launch ESA satellites Sunday - Dec 12, 2011
- NASA to draft 20-year Mars strategy by August - Apr 14, 2012
Tags: european space agency, exomars, grunt, hellip, launch, martian moon phobos, mission to mars, nasa, orbital spacecraft, orbiter, phobos mission, planetary mission, propulsion, ria novosti russia, robot rover, signs of life, six feet, trace gas, us space agency, vladimir