Russia may build more n-reactors in IranNovember 10th, 2011 - 11:59 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Nov 10 (IANS/RIA Novost) Russia is studying an Iranian proposal to build more reactors at the Bushehr nuclear power plant, the head of Russia’s state-controlled nuclear corporation Rosatom said Thursday.
“We are currently studying the proposal, as the international community has no concerns about the construction of nuclear power generation units,” Rosatom’s head Sergei Kiriyenko said.
The project, if approved, would require amendments to an inter-governmental agreement between Russia and Iran, he said.
On Wednesday, Russia criticised the International Atomic Energy Agency’s latest report on Iran, saying it undermines the international effort to defuse tension around the Islamic republic’s nuclear programme and holds it guilty without cause.
The Russian foreign ministry in a statement said the IAEA report does not contain any new data but is “a compilation of known facts that have been purposely twisted and given a political slant”.
According to the IAEA report, Iran continued its nuclear weapons research and technology development even after 2003, when it declared a halt in its nuclear programme. It states that Iran had temporarily frozen nuclear activities, but that there was evidence the programme continued to be carried out at a more modest pace.
President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad called IAEA head Yukiya Amano a US puppet.
Iran is facing an increasing pressure from the US over its nuclear programmes.
The US and Iran had snapped diplomatic ties in 1979, when Iranian students seized the US embassy in Tehran and held 52 US diplomats hostage for 444 days.
US President Barack Obama recently renewed the 1979 financial sanctions against Iran.
Israeli President Shimon Peres has also said an attack on Iran is becoming increasingly likely.
- Russia terms IAEA report on Iran 'biased' - Nov 10, 2011
- No military component in Iran's nuclear programme: Russia - Dec 10, 2011
- IAEA demands access to Iranian military site - Sep 10, 2012
- Iran launches Bushehr nuclear power plant - Sep 12, 2011
- Iran working on atomic bomb: IAEA - Nov 09, 2011
- Iran's n-plant launch delayed - May 30, 2012
- Iran willing to work with Russia on more power plants - Mar 26, 2012
- Russia to help Bangladesh build n-power plant - Nov 02, 2011
- IAEA to meet Iran over access to n-site - Jun 04, 2012
- IAEA to send high-level team to Iran - Nov 18, 2011
- Iran should clarify outstanding nuclear issues : IAEA - Nov 18, 2011
- IAEA inspectors barred from Iranian military site (Lead) - Feb 22, 2012
- Iran's first n-plant to come online Aug 21 - Aug 13, 2010
- World approaching 'military option' on Iran: Israel - Nov 05, 2011
- Iran criticises IAEA for leaking its scientists' identity - Nov 19, 2011
Tags: atomic energy agency, bushehr nuclear power plant, diplomatic ties, financial sanctions, generation units, governmental agreement, international atomic energy, international atomic energy agency, israeli president, mahmoud ahmadinejad, nuclear power generation, nuclear power plant, nuclear weapons research, political slant, president mahmoud ahmadinejad, ria novosti, russian foreign ministry, sanctions against iran, sergei kiriyenko, shimon peres