Russia may adopt new ICBM by 2022May 8th, 2012 - 4:08 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, May 8 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russia will only be able to adopt a new 100-tonne liquid-propellant intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) intended to penetrate the US missile defence system by 2022, a manufacturer said Tuesday.
Russian military mentioned the possibility of the new ICBMs in 2009 but the official decision to launch development of the new silo-based missile designed to replace the Voyevoda R-36M2 Satan ICBM was only announced late last year.
“Statistics says it will take about 10 years,” said Andrei Goryaev, deputy director of the Russian missile maker NPO Mashinostroyeniya.
He said it was hard to make any forecasts about the timeframe. “If the country has not done it for 30 years then difficulties are inevitable,” he said.
Strategic Missile Forces chief Lt. Gen. Sergei Karakayev said in December that Russia’s current solid-propellant ICBMs might be unable to penetrate US missile defences that the country is deploying in Europe to protect against possible attacks from countries such as Iran and North Korea.
Russia has expressed concerns that the US missile shield might threaten its national security.
Presently, Russia’s Strategic Missile Forces reportedly have over 400 ICBMs, including 171 Topol (SS-25), 70 Topol-M (SS-27), and three RS-24 Yars missiles.
- Russia to build new intercontinental missile by 2018 - Sep 04, 2012
- New Russian missile can carry bigger warhead: Expert - Sep 08, 2012
- Russia to train soldiers for missile systems - Jan 18, 2012
- Russia test launches RS-18 ballistic missile (Lead) - Dec 28, 2011
- Russia test launches ICBM - Nov 03, 2011
- Putin pledges 400 ICBMs for Russia in 10 years - Feb 20, 2012
- Russia test-fires ballistic missile - Jul 28, 2011
- Russia successfully test fires troubled Bulava missile - Oct 07, 2010
- Russia to resume tests of submarine-launched missile - Sep 03, 2010
- Russia to keep Topol missiles until 2019 - Oct 29, 2011
- Russia to build hypersonic missile - Sep 20, 2012
- Joint Russia-India missile to be ready by 2017 - Jun 28, 2012
- Russia outlines defence spending - Jan 25, 2012
- Russia to test launch ballistic missile - Apr 10, 2009
- Putin, Obama agree to continue missile talks - Jun 19, 2012
Tags: deputy director, intercontinental ballistic missile, intercontinental ballistic missile icbm, liquid propellant, missile defence system, missile defences, missile forces, north korea, npo, ria novosti russia, russian military, russian missile maker, silo, solid propellant, ss 25, strategic missile, topol, us missile defence, us missile shield, yars