Russia major jailed for beating soldiersSeptember 10th, 2011 - 5:39 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, Sep 10 (IANS/RIA Novosti) A Russian army major has been sentenced to four years in prison for beating a warrant officer and a soldier.
A military court in Vladivostok also stripped Maj. Igor Matveyev of his rank.
Matveyev, who has a previous criminal record, said he would appeal the conviction.
The former major gained notoriety after a video posted on YouTube exposed corruption at an army base near Vladivostok.
In the video, he accused the base chief of overseeing illegal activities and forcing servicemen to eat dog food.
- Russian army officer convicted for shooting guard dogs - May 17, 2012
- Official fired for racing tractors on Russian street - Feb 08, 2012
- Russian ex-army officer jailed for spying - Dec 08, 2011
- Man jailed after dog 'shoots' friend - Apr 04, 2012
- Syrian military chopper shot down - Aug 28, 2012
- Russian ex-servicemen sentenced for stealing MiG parts - Jun 20, 2012
- Russian Prosecutors seek 'Innocence of Muslims' ban - Sep 18, 2012
- Medvedev calls for more contract soldiers - Sep 27, 2011
- Medvedev has 1 mn Twitter followers - Feb 19, 2012
- Russian orthodox church opens Facebook account - May 16, 2012
- Russian steals gunpowder to fuel stove - Aug 14, 2012
- Russia may block YouTube over anti-Islam video - Sep 18, 2012
- Number of priests in Russian armed forces to triple - Nov 18, 2011
- Medvedev's dancing video a huge hit on the web - Apr 21, 2011
- Russian expert who sold rocket secrets to China freed - Jun 19, 2012