Russia likely to join WTO by year-endAugust 4th, 2011 - 7:04 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, Aug 4 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russia may join the World Trade Organisation (WTO) by the end of the year, the Kremlin said.
Russia has been in membership talks with the 153-nation WTO for 17 years and remains the only major economy still outside the organisation.
President Dmitry Medvedev Wednesday spoke over the phone with his American counterpart Barack Obama about Russia’s accession to the WTO.
“It was pleasantly admitted that the mutually initiated impulses contributed to significant progress during the talks,” the Kremlin said in a statement.
“In this regard it is stressed that solving the priority issue, Russia’s accession to the WTO by the end of the year, is viewed as rather real.”
- Obama greets Medvedev on Russia's joining of WTO - Dec 17, 2011
- Medvedev congratulates Obama on independence day - Jul 05, 2011
- Medvedev, Obama to discuss Syria in Seoul - Mar 24, 2012
- 'US to remain priority in Russian foreign policy' - Feb 22, 2012
- Medvedev, Hu to discuss economic ties Thursday - Jun 16, 2011
- Karzai to visit Russia - Jan 20, 2011
- Putin signs WTO accession protocol: Kremlin - Jul 22, 2012
- Medvedev, Obama donate wheelchairs to Kyrgyz kids - Dec 09, 2011
- Russian, US presidents to meet in March - Dec 17, 2011
- Putin confirms Medvedev to be PM, given election win - Dec 02, 2011
- Putin, Obama discuss bilateral relations - May 10, 2012
- Russia to launch commercial-free public TV - Apr 18, 2012
- Medvedev tells Obama about US criticism of Russian polls - Dec 18, 2011
- Medvedev, IMF chief to discuss world financial system - Nov 07, 2011
- Russia registers three more political parties - Jun 05, 2012
Tags: 17 years, american counterpart, barack obama, dmitry medvedev, economy, impulses, kremlin, membership talks, moscow, priority issue, regard, ria novosti russia, world trade organisation, world trade organisation wto, year end