Russia launches cosmonaut recruitment driveJanuary 27th, 2012 - 9:07 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Jan 27 (IANS) Russia, which sent into space the first artificial satellite, the first man and the first woman, has now launched a competition to select new cosmonauts.
State space agency Roscosmos Friday said interested candidates should apply with the Yuri Gagarin Cosmonaut Training Centre located in Star City, Moscow, reported RIA Novosti.
A lucky few will be selected for cosmonaut training by a commission made up of representatives of the training centre, rocket and space corporation Energia and the Institute of Biomedical Problems.
The Yuri Gagarin Cosmonaut Training Centre last year held a recruitment test for potential cosmonauts.
Gagarin was a Soviet Air Force pilot. He was the first human to journey into outer space when his Vostok spacecraft completed an orbit of the Earth April 12, 1961.
The first woman as well as the first civilian to fly into space, Valentina Tereshkova was selected out of more than 400 applicants to pilot the Vostok 6 in June 1963.
The first artificial satellite Sputnik 1 launched by the erstwhile Soviet Union was put into Earth’s orbit in October 1957.
- First woman in space turns 75 - Mar 06, 2012
- Russia may send woman to ISS - Dec 08, 2011
- US marks 50 years since putting first American in orbit - Feb 21, 2012
- Queen guitarist dedicates song to Gagarin - Apr 12, 2011
- Sotheby's sells pre-Gagarin spacecraft for $2.8 million - Apr 13, 2011
- First man in space to get statue in London - 50 yrs after his UK visit - Mar 23, 2011
- Gagarin event ends with fireworks display in Moscow - Apr 13, 2011
- Russian cosmonaut to speak on 50 years of human space flight - Jun 03, 2011
- ISS crew to launch mini-satellite Aug 3 - Jul 22, 2011
- Yuri Gagarin's historic space flight recreated in movie - Mar 24, 2011
- UN celebrates World Space Week - Oct 08, 2011
- Gagarin's daughter wants to register his trademark - Feb 01, 2011
- Gagarin statue unveiled in London - Jul 14, 2011
- Russia launches manned spacecraft - Apr 05, 2011
- Who's Who of world signed on his pictures (With Image) - Mar 05, 2011
Tags: air force pilot, artificial satellite, biomedical problems, city moscow, cosmonaut training centre, gagarin cosmonaut training centre, interested candidates, journey into outer space, recruitment drive, recruitment test, ria novosti, rocket and space corporation energia, roscosmos, satellite sputnik, soviet air force, space corporation, sputnik 1, vostok 6, vostok spacecraft, yuri gagarin