Russia killed 300 militants in North Caucasus in 2011December 3rd, 2011 - 4:15 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, Dec 3 (IANS) Russian interior forces have eliminated over 300 militants in the Northern Caucasus regions in 2011, the government said Friday.
As per a report presented by ministry official Army General Nikolai Rogozhkin, the forces also destroyed 366 hideouts of the militants, seized 1,400 firearms, 17,000 pieces of ammunition and 500 kg of explosives, Xinhua reported.
He also noted that the interior troops of Russia have reached the planned size of 170,000 in 2011, 40 percent of them are equipped with modern arms.
Militants frequently launch attacks against police officials and authorities in the country’s North Caucasus republics of Chechnya, Dagestan and Ingushetia.
The North Caucasus is the northern part of the Caucasus region between the Black and Caspian Seas and within European Russia. The term is also used as a synonym for the North Caucasus economic region of Russia.
- Six militants killed in Russia - May 13, 2012
- Car bomb kills four in Russia - Sep 28, 2011
- Cop, two militants killed in Russia - Mar 18, 2012
- Two militants killed in Russia - Oct 23, 2010
- Russian police kill five militants in Dagestan - Jun 16, 2010
- Two terrorists held over deadly attack in Russia - May 31, 2011
- Russian terror crimes down by 50 percent - Feb 15, 2012
- At least four dead after shooting in Russia's Chechen parliament - Oct 19, 2010
- Four militants killed in Russia's North Caucasus - Apr 19, 2011
- Gunmen attack investigators' car in Russia - May 22, 2010
- Russia needs university to teach about Islam: official - Dec 07, 2010
- Five injured in Russia blast - Oct 24, 2010
- Three dead in North Caucasus blast - Sep 22, 2011
- Three militants killed in Dagestan - Jun 11, 2011
- Two killed in Russia blasts - Feb 15, 2011
Tags: ammunition, army general, caspian seas, caucasus region, caucasus republics, chechnya, dagestan, economic region, european russia, explosives, firearms, hideouts, militants, ministry official, nikolai, north caucasus, northern caucasus, police officials, synonym, xinhua