Russia jibes US by calling for Assange to be awarded Nobel peace prizeDecember 10th, 2010 - 12:41 pm ICT by ANI
Moscow, Dec 10 (ANI): In an apparent dig at the US, Russia has suggested that Julian Assange, founder of the whistleblower website ‘Wikileaks’, should be nominated for the Nobel peace prize.
According to the Guardian, the Kremlin has urged non-governmental organisations to seriously think about “nominating Assange as a Nobel Prize laureate”.
“Public and non-governmental organisations should think of how to help him. Maybe, nominate him as a Nobel Prize laureate,” the paper quoted a source from inside President Dmitry Medvedev’s office, as saying.
Assange’s website had recently leaked 250,000 secret documents from the US military, and claims to be holding many more. He was arrested in Britain earlier this week on sexual assault charges.
The Kremlin’s initial reaction to leaked stories that referred to Russia as a corrupt “mafia state” and kleptocracy was, predictably, negative. Last week Medvedev’s spokesman called the revelations “not worthy of comment” while Putin raged that a US diplomatic cable comparing him to Batman and Medvedev to Robin was “arrogant” and “unethical”, the paper said.
Meanwhile Dmitry Rogozin, Russia’s ambassador to NATO, also voiced his support for the embattled Assange today. He tweeted that Assange’s arrest on Monday at the City of Westminster magistrates’ court demonstrated that there was “no media freedom” in the west.
Assange’s “fate” amounted to “political persecution” and a lack of human rights, the ambassador added. (ANI)
- Russia to build two space-defence missile plants - Feb 04, 2012
- WikiLeaks cables: Medvedev 'plays Robin to Putin's Batman' - Dec 02, 2010
- Russian senators approve anti-opposition bills - Jul 18, 2012
- Medvedev orders probe into sale of land for embassies - Oct 26, 2011
- WikiLeaks founder's mom demands apology from "out of step" Oz PM - Feb 05, 2011
- 'US to remain priority in Russian foreign policy' - Feb 22, 2012
- Putin sworn in as Russian president - May 07, 2012
- Assange granted asylum for fear of US: Ecuador envoy - Aug 17, 2012
- Putin signs decree appointing Medvedev PM - May 08, 2012
- Russia to launch commercial-free public TV - Apr 18, 2012
- Obscene tweet posted on Medvedev's Twitter account - Dec 08, 2011
- Medvedev sees potential for further cooperation with US - Aug 05, 2011
- Now, a peek into secretive Nobel selection process - Mar 30, 2012
- Medvedev appoints deputy PM - Dec 28, 2011
- Putin, Merkel, Gates nominated for Chinese peace prize - Sep 18, 2011
Tags: ambassador, city of westminster, fate, initial reaction, julian assange, kleptocracy, kremlin, mafia, magistrates court, media freedom, medvedev, moscow, nobel peace prize, nobel prize laureate, non governmental organisations, political persecution, revelations, secret documents, sexual assault charges, whistleblower