Russia, Iran oppose foreign interference in SyriaFebruary 23rd, 2012 - 6:03 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, Feb 23 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russian President Dmitry Medvedev and his Iranian counterpart Mahmoud Ahmadinejad have spoken out against foreign interference in Syrian internal affairs.Medvedev and Ahmadinejad Wednesday discussed the “dramatic situation” in Syria in a telephonic conversation, where both presidents “urged the resolution of the current crisis by Syrian people using only peaceful means and without any foreign interference,” the Kremlin said in a statement.
“The sides agreed that the main goal today is to prevent a civil war in the country, which may destabilize the situation in the whole region,” the statement said.
Earlier in the month, Russia and China vetoed a UN Security Council resolution on Syria that called on President Bashar al-Assad to step down. Thirteen of the council’s 15 members voted in favour of the resolution to help stop the violence in Syria.
Syria has been the scene of continuous anti-government protests for almost a year. According to the UN, more than 5,400 people have died in the unrest. Syrian authorities say over 2,000 military and law enforcement officials were killed in clashes with well-armed militants.
- US 'disgusted' by Russia, China veto on Syria resolution - Feb 05, 2012
- EU to introduce new sanctions on Syria - Feb 06, 2012
- Clinton hopes Russia, China will change stance on Syria - Feb 25, 2012
- UNSC draft on Syria sends unbalanced signal: Russia - Feb 05, 2012
- Russia to keep supporting Syria peace plan - May 06, 2012
- No Russian asylum for Syrian president: Minister - Mar 21, 2012
- Russia has tools to pressure Syrian president: Panetta - Mar 08, 2012
- Russia hits out at West's 'chilling' stance on Syria - Jul 25, 2012
- UN Syria envoy Kofi Annan to visit Russia - Mar 22, 2012
- Russia, China must pay for supporting Assad: Clinton - Jul 06, 2012
- Russia to oppose UNGA's Syria resolution - Aug 02, 2012
- Putin, Obama did not discuss refuge for Assad: Official - Jul 19, 2012
- Russia defends decision on Syria resolution - Feb 07, 2012
- Arab League offers safe exit if Assad resigns - Jul 23, 2012
- Russia warns West of 'big war' in Syria - Jul 06, 2012
Tags: bashar al assad, clashes, counterpart, dmitry medvedev, dramatic situation, favour, interference, internal affairs, kremlin, law enforcement officials, mahmoud ahmadinejad, main goal, president bashar, ria novosti, russian president, security council resolution, syrian authorities, telephonic conversation, un security council, unrest